Search the forum,

Discuss Which wireless thermostat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,

We are going to have a Ideal Vogue Max 40kw combi fitted, the installer has quoted for a "ESI wireless programmable room stat (boiler plus compliant)". Having suffered loads of problems with the existing Drayton wireless thermostat over the years I'm hoping for something pretty bulletproof.

Has anyone had experience with ESI thermostats? Are they any good and if not what would you recommend.

Thanks.

Only installed one esi but it was easy to use and i havent had the customer complain either (installed 2 years ago). Most wireless programmers are pretty decent now to be fair so I don't think you'll have an issue with any you go for, just so long as it's boiler + compliant. We also used to have trouble with the Drayton ones, until we realised your supposed to install the receiver a certain distance from the boiler (300mm I think). If it's too close I think the boiler electronics mess up the signals it receives.

Out of curiosity, what made you go for a 40kw combi over an unvented cylinder. That's a big boiler so I hope you've got the flow rate to run it.

Only installed one esi but it was easy to use and i havent had the customer complain either (installed 2 years ago). Most wireless programmers are pretty decent now to be fair so I don't think you'll have an issue with any you go for, just so long as it's boiler + compliant. We also used to have trouble with the Drayton ones, until we realised your supposed to install the receiver a certain distance from the boiler (300mm I think). If it's too close I think the boiler electronics mess up the signals it receives.

Out of curiosity, what made you go for a 40kw combi over an unvented cylinder. That's a big boiler so I hope you've got the flow rate to run it.

Thanks for the reply, reassuring.

We currently have a GlowWorm system boiler and Megaflow tank, they both need replacing. It was a decision on stick with unvented setup or go combi. 3 bed house 1 bathroom and an en-suite. Two showers are not run together normally, pretty decent mains incoming. Decision was based on cost mainly and switching to a simpler system with the 12 year warranty sounded good.

The Vogue has its own Wireless programmable thermostat called the touch I fitted one December 2018 and has worked faultlessly so far I personally would not pair the boiler with a esi control, but saying that I would also be advising you to stick a with unvented cylinder and new boiler, even a 40kw combi will not supply any where near the amount of hotwater that a cylinder will and with 3bar incoming pressure and flow behind it will supply both your showers easily, I think go for the vogue system boiler and upgrade the cylinder I dont think there will be much in it money wise all the pipework is there just needs reconfiguring all the best . Kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191004-072419.png
    Screenshot_20191004-072419.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20191004-072455.png
    Screenshot_20191004-072455.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20191004-072347.png
    Screenshot_20191004-072347.png
    748.1 KB · Views: 8
Hi thanks for the responses, after reading more posts on this and other places I'm thinking maybe the unvented is the better route.

I've had a quote from the same installer and others for an unvented system, the boiler sizes suggested have ranged from 24 to 32 KW, does it matter to much the KW of the system boiler? All the quotes were for Ideal logic, vogue or Worcester-Bosch.

Also the tank size has been either 180 or 210, again does that matter too much?

Thanks.

Hi,

From my experience, ESI controls are fine, but not often used. Unless you are particularly wedded to ESI I would opt for Honeywell - most plumbers are very familiar with them and they are easy to swap out or upgrade.

With respect to your proposal to convert to a large Combi. The performance of the boiler will only be as good as your incomming mains water flow rate

It is vital that the installer properly measures this and compares it to the required boiler input specification. If in doubt ask the installer to guarantee the performance if the system he is quoting you for - that sorts out the sheep from the goats!

I rarely see 40kw combi boilers installed that can operate at anywhere near 40kw - The Thames Valley area.

You will always get diverse (but credible) views on large Combi verses Unvented. However, before you get to that point, you need to know if indeed the proposed Combi can perform to specification.

With respect to system boiler size and unvented tank size - yes it does matter, if you want the system to perform efficiently and effectively. A good installer will survey your house and design a system to suit. If using existing radiators and pipework they may propose a few modifications to optimise the system.

An oversized boiler is of no benefit to you and if grossly oversized may be problematic.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Reply to Which wireless thermostat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock