Search the forum,

Discuss Which water softener? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

luke123456

Hi

We need a water softener fitted at home as the water is way too hard and causing limescale everywhere and even blocked the kitchen tap, God knows what it's doing to the new boiler....

Harvey water softeners gave us a quote for £1500 (that's paid in instalments) it sounds a bit too high but they do seem quality and know what they are talking about. But then again I don't know anything about this so have no idea they may be crooks.....

Any advice please??

Thanks

Would really appreciate some help asap as harvey water softeners are coming to install in the next couple of days and if I find a better option/advice I may cancel/rearrange them....

thanks!

Where are you ?

What is the Access like to internal Main?

Do you have a cupboard close to the Main to house the Softener ?

What is the Access like to get to a waste pipe?

Do you have Electric supply near by ?

Picture?

North west London

The internal main is in the downstairs WC, but all the floor and wall of the WC is tiled, there is the under stairs cupboard next to the WC (The WC itself is under the stairs).

As the wall and floor of the WC and the living room and everywhere is tiled this limits access to electricity....

you mean monarchwater.co.uk

However they have said I should contact my local plumbers merchant, where from then do I find a competent plumber to fit and install...?

Do you think a price of £1500 from Harvey water softeners is reasonable?

I initially thought it shouldn't cost more than £100!!! ignorant of me? HAHA

You could get a few quotes, Can't really comment about price without looking at the job.

I Have drinking water seperate ( Not going through the softener ) when i install softeners.

Kinetico are very good, but you will pay about the same as Harveys.

Would you say kinetico are better than Harvey's?
Is Harvey's actually a good brand??

Hello £1500 is a ok price if they are fitting it from scratch. Why do you want a Harveys softener? You could get a Tapworks or Monarch fitted for half the price, they all do the same thing soften water. I have fitted many different makes and in my opinion save the cash.

I just had a leaflet about Harvey's and they came and gave me a free quote

is there a diff between Harvey's and monarch?

i called my local plumbers and they said a monarch softener starts at £500-600 and I could probs get it cheaper online if I tried haha but a plumber won't charge me £1000 to fit so I guess Monarch is cheaper and I don't have cash to throw away

any difference between the two?

I think. I will cancel this appt that's booked for Harvey's to install tomorrow...

Scalemaster 150. Have fitted several and customers very happy. No electricity required as everything is powered by mains pressure.

the problem is, the mains pressure in the house is low, which is why I have another post here enquiring about how to improve this....

the problem is, the mains pressure in the house is low, which is why I have another post here enquiring about how to improve this....
You can get a highflow kit which will offer minimal resistance. I'm assuming you have tanks in your loft etc?

So you're on a Combi with poor flow??
all the same the highflow kit is designed to offer next to no resistance to the existing flow and can be used with combis

Yes We have a valiant 37kW boiler and the water pressure in the house is so low

What does this high flow kit involve? Can you suggest one for me to look at ?

Thanks!

An accumulator could help your pressur/flow issues.

The ️high flow kit is just oversized bore pipework to keep restriction to a minimum.

I will find a plumber and ask about the low water pressure and this water softener issue maybe they can help with both at once....?

Hi Luke

You appear to have two problems, hard water and low mains pressure!!

Before embarking on a search for a water softener you should sort out your water pressure! If you had a tank in the loft then a water softener (Harveys or Kinetico are the best) will present no problems because the water is fed through the softener to your tank and water pressure at the incoming mains is not really an issue. However many people have combi boilers installed that do away (sadly) with the stored water in the attic. It was the stored water in the attic that would have given you sufficient pressure in the house.

So, you have a combi and this is where you problem starts if you have low incoming mains pressure. Have another look at the mains stopcock and make sure it is fully on. If so, and you still have poor pressure it could be worth a call to your water supplier with an observation that you have poor pressure. I did just this last week having moved into a new house and complained to the builders of poor pressure. They inspected the internal plumbing and said all was OK. Call to the water supplier brought an instant response, checked mains pressure - very poor. Removed water meter filled full of builders' sand, cleaned it all up and replaced with new meter, mains pressure now fabulous! Previous meter had not been reading so 6 months of free (low pressure) water.

Have now installed my Kinetico (20 years old) and we are back on soft water.

If you have poor water flow then the Harver softener will be your best bet as they do not slow the water flow as much as the others out there.. Do not try to do it on the cheap and get a box from one of the sheds and get your plumber to fit it.

If you do not like scale (me neither) then consider a (good) water softener to be a long term investment and get the people who make them to do the install. They do this all the time and know exactly the best place to install it and will give you a guarantee. They will check your water pressure and tell you whether the install will give you more problems with your water pressure, bearing in mind that there will be some reduced flow as the water passes through your softener.

For info the Harvey (also sold under other names - MiniMax, Crown etc) is designed for both high flow and low flow. The Kinetico on the other hand is sold as HF (High Flow) and HE (High Efficiency). In order not to reduce your flow even more you will need high flow connections between your house plumbing and your softener. But the installer will know all about this and fit them automatically.

Good luck with your challenges, remember do not go for the cheap option, you will regret it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Which water softener? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock