From the United States of America? - Checkout our specific plumbing forum for you:USA Plumbing Forum

Discuss Which wall board should I use for shower area and how to align with plasterboard in the DIY Bathroom Remodelling Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

As part of my bathroom refurbishment, I have removed all the plasterboard from the area where the new shower will be.

The "long" wall of the shower is a stud wall and it will be easy to affix any type of board to it using appropriate screws.

The short side of the shower area is an external breeze block wall, which runs the full length of the bathroom, but the shower area will be 90cm wide, however I've removed plasterboard upto 100cm wide to enable waterproofing beyond the shower screen. This outside wall is skimmed plasterboard its thickness (front of the skimmed wall to the breeze block) varies from 20mm to 25mm. I need the new board to be the same thickness as the whole wall will be tiled.

So, my questions:

1. What board would you suggest using for the shower area. I was thinking of using Hardiebacker board, which comes in 6mm or 12mm thicknesses. I would probably go with 12mm for no particular reason other than it would provide a more solid wall and space is not an issue.

2. What is the best way to fix the board to the breeze block wall and to ensure it is the same thickness as the existing skimmed plasterboard that it will butt up against? Ideally, I could apply a 12mm board with dabs and this would enable me to get it to exactly the required depth, however, I think most waterproof boards need to be screwed to the wall, so does that mean In need to fix some thin pieces of wood to the wall, like a frame to pad either 6mm or 12mm board out? This would still give issues as the existing plasterboard tends to vary by 5mm from the top of the wall to the bottom (thanks to the plasterers!!!). I dare say, some of the varying thickness could be resolved using tile adhesive , but I want to make the job as easy as possible for the tiler.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer

Reply to Which wall board should I use for shower area and how to align with plasterboard in the DIY Bathroom Remodelling Advice area at PlumbersForums.net. Plumbing questions, answers, tips and tricks.

Plumbing and Plumbers

Plumbing Workwear

Shower Power Booster

Water Underfloor Heating

CORGI Direct for Plumbers

The Wetroom Store

Plumbase Spares