Search the forum,

Discuss Which UFH system should I choose? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone,

I wanted to get everyone's opinions on underfloor heating. I am looking to install a water based underfloor heating system in the kitchen. The walking area of the kitchen where the heating will be around 5 square metres as confirmed by my builder.

I'm also looking to install an electric based system for the upstairs and downstairs bathrooms. Upstairs bathroom will be roughly 1.5m squared and downstairs shower room will be similar.

So far I've had a quote from Nu-Heat. They have recommended their Lo-Pro Max kit which has everything you need (single zone manifold, pump, panels, tubes, actuator, self level compound and thermostat). They've suggested a mat for the bathrooms which seems simple enough.

I am looking for smartphone control so they've suggested the Heatmiser NeoAir and a NeoHub to enable smartphone control. It will allow me to control all 3 UFH zones using an app. For the rest of the house I have upstairs and downstairs zoning in place with Hive.

If you have any feedback on Nu Heat or would recommend any alternative providers please feel free to share! Any tips or advice is also very welcome.

You really need to establish if your property is suitable for UFH of any sort. Proper UFH relies on a well insulated large slab to slowly accumulate heat. It is only really suitable for new builds which are right up to specification. Retro fitting UFH in my opinion to unsuitable floors will fail. Building Lifestyle is a major consideration...homes that are empty during weekdays are not suitable..coming home at 5.00 turning the heating on and expecting to be warm before bedtime is not possible. I know a multi £m who had a section of electric underfloor heating installed in a luxurious extension..he hates it and even he thinks its not suitable ...so only puts it on 14.00 Friday afternoon for the weekend or all over Xmas
centralheatking

Very established and give discounts to forum members. Do both electric and water and know what they're talking about.

On the subject of the electric underfloor heating for the bathrooms, is this going to be the only heating for these rooms or just a way to make the tiled floor feel warmer?

On the subject of the electric underfloor heating for the bathrooms, is this going to be the only heating for these rooms or just a way to make the tiled floor feel warmer?
Murdoch has electric uf heating spot on ..never for effective home heating but cosmetic warming of bathrooms yes. centralheatking

Hi everyone,

I wanted to get everyone's opinions on underfloor heating. I am looking to install a water based underfloor heating system in the kitchen. The walking area of the kitchen where the heating will be around 5 square metres as confirmed by my builder.

I'm also looking to install an electric based system for the upstairs and downstairs bathrooms. Upstairs bathroom will be roughly 1.5m squared and downstairs shower room will be similar.

So far I've had a quote from Nu-Heat. They have recommended their Lo-Pro Max kit which has everything you need (single zone manifold, pump, panels, tubes, actuator, self level compound and thermostat). They've suggested a mat for the bathrooms which seems simple enough.

I am looking for smartphone control so they've suggested the Heatmiser NeoAir and a NeoHub to enable smartphone control. It will allow me to control all 3 UFH zones using an app. For the rest of the house I have upstairs and downstairs zoning in place with Hive.

If you have any feedback on Nu Heat or would recommend any alternative providers please feel free to share! Any tips or advice is also very welcome.

We can offer a similar system but our most prefered option is for a 18mm Retrofix System. The board is made from Gypsum Fibre and offers a solid subfloor for Tiles and Laminate. If you'd like a quote please feel free to get in touch on the number below.

Murdoch has electric uf heating spot on ..never for effective home heating but cosmetic warming of bathrooms yes. centralheatking

Electric UFH can be used as a primary heating source, we offer 160w/m2 and 200w/m2 for Primary heating. These are both adequate as a only heating source within a room.

Electric UFH can be used as a primary heating source, we offer 160w/m2 and 200w/m2 for Primary heating. These are both adequate as a only heating source within a room.

Curious - never seen anyone happy with their lecky bills after doing this

Curious - never seen anyone happy with their lecky bills after doing this
Some homes are beyond the gas supply network and like my holiday lets not fully occupied but need making comfortable very quickly so a quick fix of under floor lecky heating in the bathrooms is quite attractive esp.as my customers will happily pay for this luxury quick fix I think. centralheatking

Exactly that. Both bathrooms will have it just to supplement the lovely towel rails that will be supplying the heat via central heating. In winter the combination will be needed early in the morning!
[automerge]1575584636[/automerge]
We can offer a similar system but our most prefered option is for a 18mm Retrofix System. The board is made from Gypsum Fibre and offers a solid subfloor for Tiles and Laminate. If you'd like a quote please feel free to get in touch on the number below.

Thanks Jake I am speaking to your colleague Eddie. Hopefully we can get something sorted soon!
[automerge]1575584935[/automerge]
You really need to establish if your property is suitable for UFH of any sort. Proper UFH relies on a well insulated large slab to slowly accumulate heat. It is only really suitable for new builds which are right up to specification. Retro fitting UFH in my opinion to unsuitable floors will fail. Building Lifestyle is a major consideration...homes that are empty during weekdays are not suitable..coming home at 5.00 turning the heating on and expecting to be warm before bedtime is not possible. I know a multi £m who had a section of electric underfloor heating installed in a luxurious extension..he hates it and even he thinks its not suitable ...so only puts it on 14.00 Friday afternoon for the weekend or all over Xmas
centralheatking
Thanks centralheatking you make some very valid points. I tend to work from home most days in my line of work so the house is typically occupied on most weekdays during the day.

I am doing a whole house refurb which includes new insulation. So it will be retrofit.Just had new double glazing put in as well. The concrete floor in kitchen is being dug up and although I'll also have a radiator in the kitchen that will be a back up option. On a tiled kitchen floor I want the floor to be warm. Hoping the warm up times can be achieved a little quicker say a couple of hours? I'm in conversation with uheat about the best solution.

Last edited:
^^

My advice would be to get Wi-fi based controllers, sure they are more expensive to buy but far easier to set up and manage in the long run ...

I'm installing a Wundatherm wet retrofit sytem, only in my kitchen so far but certainly seems to warm up in minutes not hours (they claim 30 mins). They have a helpful website.

Reply to Which UFH system should I choose? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock