Search the forum,

Discuss Which tap is leaking in our kitchen mixer tap? in the Australia area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a mixer tap on our kitchen sink and it's started to drip.
I c an see how it comes apart but how will I know which one is leaking once I open them up or should I just change both washers to be on the safe side?

Thank you.
IMG_6757.jpg

Hello Cheddarman. If you push one of the handles in towards the tap body and the drip stops or lessens, then that is the faulty side. That often works.
I find most of the mixers I fix are the cold works faulty, but could also be the hot of course.

As above turn one side off at a time a new tap insert will be needed as they are quater turn operation and the inserts are handed for hot and cold it looks like a tap from Howdens I fitted one recently ? Kop

As above turn one side off at a time a new tap insert will be needed as they are quater turn operation and the inserts are handed for hot and cold it looks like a tap from Howdens I fitted one recently ? Kop
Many thanks for that.
Yes it is a Howdens kitchen. Bought the new build bungalow about three years ago and already the worktop is "swelling" where the joints weren't sealed properly!
So I have to replace the complete insert, not just a washer?

Many thanks for that.
Yes it is a Howdens kitchen. Bought the new build bungalow about three years ago and already the worktop is "swelling" where the joints weren't sealed properly!
So I have to replace the complete insert, not just a washer?
Its a ceramic cartridge like this.

Attachments

• tap insert.jpg
    tap insert.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 4
Unfortunately the installation plumbers haven't fitted isolation valves in the supply to the mixer (as they have on all others) so have a bit of a quandary as to how to isolate them! They come off the main system which is pressurised and comprises an Air Source heat pump so I am reluctant to turn off the main supply and drain the system!!

Unfortunately the installation plumbers haven't fitted isolation valves in the supply to the mixer (as they have on all others) so have a bit of a quandary as to how to isolate them! They come off the main system which is pressurised and comprises an Air Source heat pump so I am reluctant to turn off the main supply and drain the system!!
You could turn off the supply to the cylinder that would then prove if its the hot. You can turn the cold off at the main stop tap. Good luck

Buy as a pair. Change as a pair.
OK, I've got the Daikin engineer coming next week so will do this at the same time as I'm probably going to have to drain the system, there being no isolating valves fitted.
I will buy a pair but how can I be sure I'm getting the correct item? I can find nothing in the "house manual" about parts used in the kitchen.
It is a Howden kitchen.
Cheers
[automerge]1573214113[/automerge]
Further to my last, I contacted Howden, gave them the invoice number from 2015 and they have found the purchase and confirmed the tap needed. They have ordered the inserts and they'll be available next week. Excellent service!!
Thanks to all on here for the help.
Cheers

Last edited:
I will buy a pair but how can I be sure I'm getting the correct item?

That's the problem. Because there are so many different types where the spline count (the "teeth" that have to match up with the head) is different or the diametre of the spindle is different, we usually take the faulty cartridge to the merchant and match one up.

Depending upon location and when paying a plumber to do the job that is sometimes uneconomical so sometimes it's better to change the whole tap. I'm not saying you'll have to do that, just that it is a possibility.

I'll have a quick look and see if I can find your tap and if there is a recommended cartridge for it though.
[automerge]1573209441[/automerge]
OK, I've found your tap and all the technical information but as usual, there is no proper information for the cartridge it uses so again, as usual, the cartridge will either need to be removed and taken to a plumber's merchant for matching or the whole tap replaced.

Whilst your plumber is there and they have isolated the tap for you and removed the cartridge you could take it to the merchant yourself. If they don't have the one you need at least you will be in the right place to get advice or pick up a new tap.

Last edited:
That's the problem. Because there are so many different types where the spline count (the "teeth" that have to match up with the head) is different or the diametre of the spindle is different, we usually take the faulty cartridge to the merchant and match one up.

Depending upon location and when paying a plumber to do the job that is sometimes uneconomical so sometimes it's better to change the whole tap. I'm not saying you'll have to do that, just that it is a possibility.

I'll have a quick look and see if I can find your tap and if there is a recommended cartridge for it though.
[automerge]1573209441[/automerge]
OK, I've found your tap and all the technical information but as usual, there is no proper information for the cartridge it uses so again, as usual, the cartridge will either need to be removed and taken to a plumber's merchant for matching or the whole tap replaced.

Whilst your plumber is there and they have isolated the tap for you and removed the cartridge you could take it to the merchant yourself. If they don't have the one you need at least you will be in the right place to get advice or pick up a new tap.

Many thanks for all this info.
]As I said above, I contacted Howden, they tracked down the original invoice from the builder and have ordered me a pair of inserts fo the tap.
]I am tempted to fit a couple of isolating cocks while the system is down!!

You don't need to drain the hot water if you have a mains fed cylinder. Just turn the cold mains off, inside or outside. Open taps check no flow and begin.

Reply to Which tap is leaking in our kitchen mixer tap? in the Australia area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I need to replace the washer of my kitchen mixer tap as it is leaking. I was able to remove the spout once by unscrewing the screw on the back of the tap. However now I can't remove it again as it seems I must have used the wrong screw head and have rounded off the head. Please see attached...
Replies
Views
I have a kitchen mixer tap with quarter turn levers and the cold side started dripping. I took out the ceramic valve and replaced it with one from Screwfix but it hasn’t solved the problem it still drips. Could it be a dodgy valve or is it something else? Thanks
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a few mixer taps to install in bathrooms and kitchen. The kitchen tap also has a wondering spray arm capability. On researching something else, i stumbled across people saying that a check valve should be placed on the cold mains feed. How can I tell if the mixer taps/spray arm mix...
Replies
Views
I have attached an image of a kitchen tap which requires the housing around the cartridge to be removed. The housing is much more than hand-tight and I was wondering if plumbers have experienced this type of tap and how the housing is removed without damaging it. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock