Search the forum,

Discuss Which Macerator? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

clacka

Hello, i am new to this forum and after a little advise from you experts please.

I am changing my ensuite and need to replace the old noisy and smelly Saniflo Saniplus macerator. It is for a shower, WC and sink.

My question is which type/make of macerator would you recommend? I have seen Saniflo which are expensive and also Uniflo Flush which are a 1/3 of the Saniflo price. Are they as good as Saniflo or would you guys recommend i bought the Saniflo or another make?

Also which ones are the quietest in operation?

Any help/advise is really appreciated.

Well if you have a saniflow already you probably only have a 22mm outlet pipe,which restricts you to saniflow anyway,as most other makes have a lager size outlet requirement
The saniflow price may be a more but still very affordable and are tried and tested and will serve you well,if you divide cost over its life span it is not to bad

Thanks for the replies. It is a 22mm outlet pipe so as you suggest Puddle i will have to go for Saniflo. I have noticed that some of the Saniflo macerators now say that they are 'the new quieter version'. Has any of you fitted these and are they much quieter than the older ones?

As the pipework is already there is it quite easy to replace the old macerator for a new one by a complete novice or would you recommend this should be done by an expert?

If you have a Saniplus the best idea it to replace it with a new one the new machines are a different design to the old tried and trusted plus, if you have a smelly one it's probbaly due to the build up of matter inside on the walls of the box..... use a non foaming thick bleach to clean the pan then turn the electric off flush the machine only once and leave to stand for 30 min leave overnight if you want (just check that there is no bleach leaking from the machine) when you are ready turn the machine on it should start on iy's own let the pump cycle finish should be no more than 20 seconds on good pipework then flush with clean water.
Use bleach on a regular basis will keep the machine clean and smell free and as a bonus if you use one that removes lime scale you wont have to descale it either...

Last edited by a moderator:
The Uniflo macerator or a mirad of similar looking machine available on E Bay all with different names & various sites is a cheep rip off CLONE made in China of the German made VORTOPLAST \SANIPLAST, this cheep clone is a copy of an old 1986 machine, Since being coppied so many modifications have been made to improve the VORTOPLAST machine. it has been avalible in the UK for the last 20 years.....

Saniflo are the market leader and one particular E bay machine that looks like a Saniflo that hides behind a frame or wall but obviously cheeper is infact a Clone made in China ,,,

Golden Rule Buy from trusted suppliers

Not all macerators & Munchers are equal & remember the crap you get left in if it goes wrong !

I have been a Macerator engineer for over 30 years and the worst thing you can do is put bleach in the unit, I guess Muncher is a diy'er thinking he knows about these products, these people are the worst to take advice from, putting thick bleach in a saniflo is like drinking it yourself, it will burn all the rubber seals and diaphragm, all you put in a saniflo is POO PEE AND PAPER nothing else, SHAME ON you MUNCHER, 95% of our work is correcting bad installations due to people like MUNCHER and plumbers thinking that they are Macerator engineers, Bad advice from diy'ers will cost you lots of cash in the long run, If you require info on macerators talk to a macerator engineer 99% of them will give free advice

I have been a Macerator engineer for over 30 years and the worst thing you can do is put bleach in the unit, I guess Muncher is a diy'er thinking he knows about these products, these people are the worst to take advice from, putting thick bleach in a saniflo is like drinking it yourself, it will burn all the rubber seals and diaphragm, all you put in a saniflo is POO PEE AND PAPER nothing else, SHAME ON you MUNCHER, 95% of our work is correcting bad installations due to people like MUNCHER and plumbers thinking that they are Macerator engineers, Bad advice from diy'ers will cost you lots of cash in the long run, If you require info on macerators talk to a macerator engineer 99% of them will give free advice

Everyone to their own I suppose. It's good to get input from someone with your experience. There are quite a few diy'ers on the forum who are very knowledgable, but no one can ever claim to be an expert at anything as everyday brings fresh challenges and new found knowledge. One persons advice may get rebuked by another and that is how we learn and what makes this forum a good place learn from and a friendly place to visit.

Good God. I can only wish I were a DIY'er.

Actually one of the worst thing you can put down a unit with rubber parts is white spirit or similar just clean your paint brushes out in it that's the quickest way to screw all the seals and the rubber streches and deforms permantly.

Try following my instructions on cleaning Saniflo macerators Before you jump to conclusions based on yesterdays incorect recomendations, They were originally issued to keep the service network in work.

Recomending bleach or Descaler to clean Saniflo machines works without causing any damage at all and was based on Me personaly working on 800 to 1000 Saniflo Munchers a year.

Saniflo recomend using a domestic descaling liquid or there own descaler it's not cheep either, check out the web site, Prussic acid isin't it ?

Phone saniflo Technical support, your going to be told to use descaler or a Descaling type Bleach to clean the machine it was Me that Originaly said dont use thick bleach as it attracts Limescale to the membrane and other rubber parts and deformes them, that was 25 years ago it was posted in the gold list and became written in stone.

I would go further and say 98% of the work is correcting bad installations or removing blockages, Once the machine has been Repaired or Replaced and remedial work to the pipe work completed satisfactory this results in a good working machine.

Blockages are caused by people working on autopilot and chucking the wrong items into the WC.

It's all about Education in the end of both the Installer and the customer.

Occaisionaly a recognised Expert in the subject turns up on a forum and yes I do this for a living.

By the way Good post System 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Which Macerator? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock