Search the forum,

Discuss Which height adjustable siphon to buy? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

I am planning to buy a height adjustable siphon to use in a new WC cistern instead of the supplied siphon. My three candidates are:
  1. The Dudley Turbo Edge Siphon
  2. The Fluidmaster Ultra Dual Flush Siphon.
  3. The Wirquin MacDee Motion Siphon
Each manufacturer claims that its product is compact enough to fit in any modern lever operated cistern, is height adjustable, and has dual flush and internal overflow capability. And all three allow the bell housing assembly to be removed for maintenance without having to empty and dismantle the cistern. Basically, everything I need.

Does anyone have any experience of using at least two of these siphons and, consequently, has a preference for one over the other? Any one of these that I should avoid at all costs?

Looking on the Wolseley Web site, the Dudley and Fluidmaster siphons are about the same price, but the Wirquin MacDee siphon is considerably cheaper for some reason.

Turbo or fluidmaster either is good normally fit a turbo on a big cistern and if space is limited then fluidmaster

I’ve given up considering the Turbo 88. I believe the siphons that I listed are more appropriate in the smaller, modern, lever operated cisterns. So, for Dudley, I am considering the Turbo Edge instead.

But the Macdee Motion siphon is interesting. The piston base has two hinged, solid plastic “flappers”. These replace the traditional, flexible diaphragm washer, which has a tendency to wear and split over time. Any feedback on this siphon would be appreciated.

To offer an alternative idea, I don't really see the advantage in a 3-part siphon.

WHY?

1. A diaphragm often lasts 20 years.
2. If the cistern is close-coupled type, then the metal plate under the cistern is generally in need of renewal by the time you dismantle to access the siphon, so that's a good opportunity to do it.
3. If the cistern is a high or low level type, it's really easy to remove the siphon, so a 3-part siphon is not particularly easier to service.
4. The diaphragm may be easy to access in a 3-part siphon, but you now have 2 extra seals that can fail compared with the normal 1-piece siphon that has no seals to fail.

Though I accept that, if you are unlucky, sod's law dictates the diaphagm will fail in 18 months and you'll wish you'd fitted the 3-part siphon.

Rubbish had two break around 2 years in service

Reply to Which height adjustable siphon to buy? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock