Search the forum,

Discuss Which air source heat pump? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

willing2learn

Hi guys, my wife and I are doing a self build. I'm a GSR plumber. There's no gas in the village, we were toying with the idea of going down the pellet burner root. But are now swaying towards an air source heat pump, with solar geothermal and a log burner in the lounge.

I've never installed a heat pump, and not sure which one to consider/avoid.

Any views on this people?

Google Earth save products, give them a ring or email, very friendly and helpful people. Ask about the Ecocent hot water cylinder, and their knowledge of heat pumps is second to none

Google Earth save products, give them a ring or email, very friendly and helpful people. Ask about the Ecocent hot water cylinder, and their knowledge of heat pumps is second to none

Thanks for that, I'll check them out. Just having a look at the new Samsung EHS mono.

Hi guys, my wife and I are doing a self build. I'm a GSR plumber. There's no gas in the village, we were toying with the idea of going down the pellet burner root. But are now swaying towards an air source heat pump, with solar geothermal and a log burner in the lounge.

I've never installed a heat pump, and not sure which one to consider/avoid.

Any views on this people?

Mitsubishi! cheap, chearfull and easy to install.
Can use it to feed your heating (underfloor or rads) directly or sent it to a buffer.
Pellet burners/ wood burner etc - to much hassle, cleaning out etc every so often depending how often u use it.

My choice would be Nibe all the way. Not cheap but when installed and set up correct they are te best. Back up and customer service very good to. Mitsubishi have zero help in technical and service and there product is not a patch on there's.

Bit of an update. Went to Earth Save Products and had a good chat with the guys there. Very impressed with the Ecocent Cylinder. So looks like I'm swaying towards one of their ASHP for underfloor heating downstairs and some of their low temp rads for upstairs. The ASHP doesn't have to do the DHW as the Ecocent cylinder takes care of that.

Edited to add, I'll be fitting a buffer tank too.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're fitting an ecocent you'd best buy a nice warm coat as well cause it'll suck the warm air out of you're house and dump it outside

Markfxy, the ecocent can take air from outside, or warm moist air from a shower room or kitchen and then return cool fresh dry air somewhere you may need it

If you're fitting an ecocent you'd best buy a nice warm coat as well cause it'll suck the warm air out of you're house and dump it outside

Hi Mark, do you have any experience with the ecocent cylinders then? The plan was to have the vents over the showers and near the log burner, and maybe on in the utility room.

Samsung he's is very good, and great price, hitachi yutaki again very good, Mitsubishi hugely overrated and priced. Nibe I wouldn't go near as they're like a closed shop and just want you to pay for training etc, I'm Dimplex accredited again ok but controls are a pain. I'd go with Samsung, give Grahame at freedom heat pumps a call

Husky Air Source are one of the best new comers and very competitively priced. We typically can supply and install one for around ÂŁ1500 less than Eco dans etc.

I'm the same can supply and fit for nearly a quarter less than the Ecodan quotes out there

All products I have seen from them is direct from China.

Daiken are a trusted brand for both major projects and small domestic systems, maybe a bit dearer today but you save that into the future with reliability and a manufacturer who does have after sales support.

Last edited:
Markfxy, the ecocent can take air from outside, or warm moist air from a shower room or kitchen and then return cool fresh dry air somewhere you may need it

The kitchen or shower room are not always full of warm moist air that we need to get rid of so they will be pulling heat from the kitchen / shower room which has to be replaced, so no savings there.

If they are pulling the air from outside the house (standard heat pump method) the C.O.P. will drop big time in winter, honestly if you are anywhere in the north of England, Ireland or in Scotland fit a standard immersion at least they are honest.

Have you seen the Panasonic range of heat pumps? They bought out Sanyos CO2 and also had there own long standing range. They have heat pumps that are high temp 65 flow and ones that guarantee output to -15 degrees. ie 12kW at 7 degrees and 12kW at -15 outside air temp with no back up electric heater, yes the COP drops but overall they have good COP's. They seem very well priced. I just did there training. They are also inverter driven (variable output) with 0.5amp start current.

I also import and fit wood pellet boilers, take a look at Extraflame's low cost domestic range. MCZ products is also worth looking at. They both do combined stove boilers to from 12kW to 24kW and a range of pellet boilers from 14 to 31kW that are MCS approved and well priced.

All products I have seen from them is direct from China.

Daiken are a trusted brand for both major projects and small domestic systems, maybe a bit dearer today but you save that into the future with reliability and a manufacturer who does have after sales support.

Give them a ring Pete, very helpful people. They will put your doubts to rest.

Give them a ring Pete, very helpful people. They will put your doubts to rest.

I know the products because I can buy direct from the manufacturers in both Italy and China.

I am looking at a small heat pump that is mounted outside, easy to fit works with standard cylinders and coils COP of 3.5 when outside temperatures are above 3c drops to 3 when outside temps hit oc.

Should be interesting to see the engineers final report, it better be a long report considering what it's costing me :)

Ice stick, octopus heatpump system, no drilling into the ground, only a compressor, swedish design, also hot water cylinder with heatpump , ho****er 24/7, easy to fit; i've fitted the ice stick to new and old heating systems, and the unit is gauged,so i can tell how its performing, new build insulated house 2000 square feet 550 to 600 euros a year to heat; hotfoot .ie is the company ;

Hi Mark, do you have any experience with the ecocent cylinders then? The plan was to have the vents over the showers and near the log burner, and maybe on in the utility room.

willing2learn - did you make a decision? - we are in similar situation except that I am electrically qualified but not a plumber

ecocent / Giona / et al take heat from the house, i.e. it will take it from the radiators, underfloor heating etc.
So in practice you heat the house and then take that heat to heat the water. Some of the units can take air direct from outside.
It's an air source heat pump by any name. so depending upon how you are planning to heat the house depends upon whether it will be efficient or not.

From another post:
The man at Giona strongly advised against using an internal source for the inlet because it would be taking heat out of the house which has to be replaced by drawing heat in from the outside. Logically it makes no sense to me to be pumping warmth out of the house only to draw cold air back in. He stated that the inlet and outlet would both be outside.

ASHP's based on our experience
Tier One: Panasonic , Daikin
Tier Two, Samsung, Mistubishi
Nibe are unnecessarily complex, Dimplex units cannot comment on, Mistubishi complex to set up CORRECTLY..., Danfoss no direct UK support, so you're on ya own..
Best Installer Support #1 Panasonic, #2 Samsung.

Can't pass comment on other manufacturers, all I've fit is Mitsubishi and find them to be really good. Flow rate through heat pump is very important. Avoid microbore, depending on the distance from heat pump to cylinder and size of heat pump but to be safe use 28mm between heat pump and cylinder. I actually find the technical very good (certain lads anyway) pre sales speak to Louis Sousa

I agree on the mitsi being complex but mainly because there is so much that can done with the FTC 4 & 5 control and experience is a must to get them right. Danfoss don't really need much support as there so simple And overpriced

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Which air source heat pump? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock