Search the forum,

Discuss Where to start when buying a boiler? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since buying our house in Leeds, It's become apparent that we are having more hassle than its worth with out boiler and have agreed to put some of our savings aside to buy a new one.

We know we need a Combi Boiler but have no idea what brands we need to be looking at in regards to how expensive it would be. We're a young couple so saving money on our gas is our priority.

We've obviously googled it but everything that comes up is either ecommerce or just an article. I need like an actual comparison.

Has anyone came across them before? Are they Gas Safe?

Help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Everybody on here will have a different opinion on their favourite boiler but there are a couple with 10 year warranties. Ideal Vogue and Baxi Platinum come to mind. I've fitted both and have had no problems. Would also say make sure you have a filter fitted (Magnaclean Pro 2 or Fernox TF1)

Get a few quotes. Ask engineers why they recommend xx boiler. Don’t assume they are fitting it because it’s best for you, sometimes their merchant might have a poor brand on special or something. Do you definitely need a combi? What do you have currently?? Make sure that engineer carries advises you on controls, TRVs and zoning if applicable as these things are becoming much more prominent in terms of installs

1st why do you need a combi ? if everything else is ok may just need a boiler upgrade, find about 3 local installers to come and give some advise, But don't get talked into a combi, not always the best choice

I would try and find a installer local to you and get them to vist your property to advise you the best way forward, we all have our preferred boilers we like to fit on here, i favour Atag but they will be the most expensive, Intergas are very good reliable economical and good value as a second choice plenty of others to consider , Baxi, Ideal, Worcester Bosch, get some estimates and go from there . cheers kop

Since buying our house in Leeds, It's become apparent that we are having more hassle than its worth with out boiler .........................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Has anyone came across them before? Are they Gas Safe?

Help!
Is whom Gas Safe?

There was a link posted in the original post that's been removed by a mod. It looked like a boiler comparison site.

Even so, bit of a duff statement.

• Informative
Reactions: rpm
The title of your post says “ where to start when buying a boiler “ I don’t actually think thats what you mean , however if you do , please do not go buy one without sourcing an installer first .

Have concerns with "Know we need a combi" as jts asked post #5
Reckon combi and condensing are easily mixed up, well they are to me being non gas. :oops:

A combi boiler provides instant hot water on demand (no cylinder required).
A condensing boiler is, basically, just a very efficient boiler.
The advice I give my customers and friends is to find a decent installer and let the installer supply the boiler. Then, if there is a problem with the new boiler, the installer is responsible for the fault whether the problem is due to the boiler being faulty or the way it was installed. Whereas, if the boiler is supplied by yourself, the company selling it to you may well blame the installation and the installer will probably say he installed it correctly and you won't know which is true.
AN INSTALLER (not a product) can be Gas Safe registered. If you have any doubt that an installer is Gas Safe, then you can contact Gas Safe and check.

Last edited:
Lots of combi’s have plastic parts inside. Baxi use brass. That’s good enough for me. Worcester are good though as long as they are installed to manifacturers instructions (which often they are not)

Lots of combi’s have plastic parts inside. Baxi use brass. That’s good enough for me. Worcester are good though as long as they are installed to manufacturers instructions (which often they are not)

some baxis use plastic

I didn't explain my reasoning.

To illustrate a point, my bicycle has had a quality plastic bracket supporting the heavy lock on it. I have had the bicycle and lock about 18 years, during which time it has probably covered 20,000 miles. The bracket is still intact. On the other hand, some cheap cast stainless brackets supporting the front light were failing in a matter of weeks and I eventually had to get rid of that light. So metal can be just as bad as plastic if you make it cheap and nasty enough.

Back to plumbing, there are many fans of Magnacleans on this forum: these are plastic. We use plastic for water supply pipes - it never corrodes and causes blockages, unlike steel mains, and I'm sure we've all seen the effects of dezincification on cheap fittings. We also rarely use metal gate valves any more, using spherical valves instead, which use a plastic material to allow the ball to seal instead of metal to metal.

If plastic is used to save money, it is probably a bad material. If, on the other hand, it is used because it has technically superior properties, then it could well be good. I just think that metal = good, plastic = bad is a false dichotomy.

Not yet, thinking there was an edit before posting as the same post on another forum doesn`t have this in it. :oops:
More and more posts with nonsense stuff .... seems a little odd for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Where to start when buying a boiler? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock