Search the forum,

Discuss Where to fit magnetic filter? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Jennie

Gas Engineer
Hi all,
My customer would like a magnetic filter fitted. There's not a lot of pipe space - pics attached.
I've figured my two options would be an Adey Atom on the 22mm flow above the boiler (obviously not ideal, but I don't much fancy trying to access the 22return), or a very easy install on the 15mm return underneath the boiler.
What would you all do?
Thanks
IMG_1754.jpg
IMG_1754.jpg
IMG_1753.jpg
IMG_1757.jpg
for all your advice,
Jennie

Attachments

• IMG_1755.jpg
    IMG_1755.jpg
    525.9 KB · Views: 2
Where do the 15mm go / what do they heat ?

Isn’t there rules about boilers being fitted in a location like that?
[automerge]1568059845[/automerge]
My answer to your question though. Would’ve to extend the pipes from the ceiling to for the filter. Or fit a Spyro

Downstairs radiators. Not sure how many, until I return to have a closer look.

Could you cut that lower (the 15mm) and bring the 22mm further down and loop it back up with a filter ?

If you get the original manga clean you can fit it on the return above the boiler and remove the solder elbow, the first magnackeans have more fitting options
[automerge]1568060790[/automerge]
Then u won't be able to open it as I looked at pics ,it is tight , is the 15mm below going to rads

If you get the original manga clean you can fit it on the return above the boiler and remove the solder elbow, the first magnackeans have more fitting options
[automerge]1568060790[/automerge]
Then u won't be able to open it as I looked at pics ,it is tight , is the 15mm below going to rads

Yes, the 15mm pipes below go to rads. So the filter would serve part of the heating circuit - but possibly only the smaller circuit. But better a filter there than none at all.

Hi all,
My customer would like a magnetic filter fitted. There's not a lot of pipe space - pics attached.
I've figured my two options would be an Adey Atom on the 22mm flow above the boiler (obviously not ideal, but I don't much fancy trying to access the 22return), or a very easy install on the 15mm return underneath the boiler.
What would you all do?
ThanksView attachment 40335View attachment 40335View attachment 40334View attachment 40337 for all your advice,
Jennie
Have you had a look at the Altecnic/ Caleffi Dirtmag Mini, it is small and also has the option to install as straight through or as an angled valve.

Thanks everyone. It's so useful to get your insight. Think I've got a way ahead now. :)
It is quite acceptable to fit a filter away from the boiler as long as its on the heating circuit. You may have a more suitable spot if you look around....things are a bit tight around the boiler. centralheatking
centramag produce really good unit with a good non magnetic filter as well and that is a straight thro type. AND for the others NO I did not design this one but 3 others that are in production which protocol
forbids me from naming...I dont mind as I got paid well for those a few years ago.

Hi everyone, I've done the job. And fitted a Magnaclean Atom on the preferred 22mm return pipe to the boiler, in the tight corner between the wall and ceiling. It was very tight, and also with a toilet in the way. But I've done it. Thanks for all your advice. :)

Didn't want to start a new thread on the above, just topped up (first top up) relations 4 year old, 20 kw gas fired system, top up valves in hot press near HW cylinder but the Ferroli magnetic filter which was fitted with the install is placed between the flow & return with the cyl coil teed off, in other words the magnetic filter is acting as a continuous by pass.
The system is working perfectly but is this filter install just plainly incorrect?.

Didn't want to start a new thread on the above, just topped up (first top up) relations 4 year old, 20 kw gas fired system, top up valves in hot press near HW cylinder but the Ferroli magnetic filter which was fitted with the install is placed between the flow & return with the cyl coil teed off, in other words the magnetic filter is acting as a continuous by pass.
The system is working perfectly but is this filter install just plainly incorrect?.
of course it’s wrong , magnetic and combined mag and non mag filters are designed as in line filters for ch
So they are meant to be usually on the return in an accessible location, the water passes thro and goes on its way after being filtered. I reality you can put them almost anywhere that is easy to get to. What a mistake ...change it directly to inline. We designed several types of these filters in the 90’s onwards and they are all the same fitting .performance varies according to many factors ..magnet strength, filter grade water dynamics in the filter but people usually buy the most promoted one Magnaclean ..I like centramag by trappex even though I did not design that one but helped out with promo years ago .Chking

Last edited:

Reply to Where to fit magnetic filter? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock