• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today!

Discuss Where to buy a 1inch butterfly valve in the Valves & Taps area at PlumbersForums.net

ben brinnand

Reaction score
Hi All.
I'm trying to source a 1" butterfly valve? I can only find ball valves.
(if your interested why)o_O
Its to make a throw line launcher, I'm a tree surgeon and we use a small line and a throw bag to pull up our main climbing rope into a tree.
For bigger trees it takes time to hit the right branch, this thing can launch the sack 30m accurately :D:D:D

sack launch.jpg

Millsy 82

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
To me a butterfly valve isn't the one pictured. That is just a 1/4 turn lever valve and you would get them from most merchants.

YorkshireDave

Plumber
Reaction score
Hi Ben

From what I've seen on YouTube, the valve is basically the 'trigger', is that correct?

OP
B

ben brinnand

Reaction score
Hi all
this one shown here is a 1.5 butterfly valve but the 1" (attached to the launcher on the table) is better because the release torque is lower.

sack launch1.jpg

YorkshireDave

Plumber
Reaction score
Hmm. Okay. Get that. So what that means is that speed of operation is vital and this is why the guy on the video uses a smaller valve with lower operating torque hence increased speed and air distribution.

I see the issue. To me, the easiest way around this problem is a 12v solenoid valve. An electrically operated valve that opens in approx 0.2 secs (far faster than you'll ever be able to turn something). Using one would also mean much better accuracy as both hands can be used to aim as in a rifle.

The better quality valve you buy, the more pressure it will stand and the faster it will operate. Seeing as time is money in your business, I'd test it out with a cheaper version then upgrade to something more robust, more reliable. The actual 'trigger' then becomes a simple push to make button.

OP
B

ben brinnand

Reaction score
Hmm. Okay. Get that. So what that means is that speed of operation is vital and this is why the guy on the video uses a smaller valve with lower operating torque hence increased speed and air distribution.

I see the issue. To me, the easiest way around this problem is a 12v solenoid valve. An electrically operated valve that opens in approx 0.2 secs (far faster than you'll ever be able to turn something). Using one would also mean much better accuracy as both hands can be used to aim as in a rifle.

The better quality valve you buy, the more pressure it will stand and the faster it will operate. Seeing as time is money in your business, I'd test it out with a cheaper version then upgrade to something more robust, more reliable. The actual 'trigger' then becomes a simple push to make button.
Ok cool I'll roll with that:) Where do I buy a 12v solenoid valve? ;)

Forum Sponsors

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers - Plumb Advice

Plumbase - Plumbing Parts for Plumbers - Plumbers Advice

Power Shower Booster for Power Showers - Plumbing Advice

Underflor Heating Systems by uHeat - Plumbing Advice

Wetroom Supplies by Wetroom Store

Nicobond - Wetroom and Tiling Supplies - Plumbers Installation Advice

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers - Advice for Plumbers

Do you have a DAB radio for work?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.