Search the forum,

Discuss where should i learn plumbing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

aft75

Hi,
I want to learn plambing and start as a second job. Is this a good idea? I do not want to pay a fortune and end up with nowhere. Please need some advice.
Where should i learn?
C&G 1628 is it enough to start as a plumber?
How much will it cost?
I am living in barking.

Plambing is really easy but you should keep your 1st job in the meantime.

Hi,
I found an online site(ableskills.co.uk) where they offer courses on plumbing and electric work.You can also learn plumbing in TAFE Schools.
you can just check that site out though i am not the promoter of that site , i felt it usefull.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plumbing is a trade carried out by craftsmen and women. Go for it full time, go and try it with a trdesman and see if you like it . It demands and deserves your full attention it is a serious business not a part time hobby.
I would give it some thought.
No offence intended it just seems like the whole world thinks oh I know ill become a plumber and make some extra cash.
Give us a bit more detail on your reasoning

Well be honest I did my bathroom tilling and my floor laminating and my friends house as well. I do work in a super store in the week ends fri-sun day nights and rest of the week I got to do some thing. can I earn 100-200 by the week days? or those happy days are gone.
thanks

If you are free during the week see if you can spend a day with a few different plumbers and see if its for you. Im sure if you sell yourself correctly, even if you make tea and watch it will give you a better insight.
Good luck

Hi,

I did a course at NTPS traning up in Hyde Nr Manchester. They are a friendly bunch, very flexible and very reasonably priced. They do a basic C&G level 2 course to start and other courses if you wish to improve after that.

Mick

Hi,
I want to learn plambing and start as a second job. Is this a good idea? I do not want to pay a fortune and end up with nowhere. Please need some advice.
Where should i learn?
C&G 1628 is it enough to start as a plumber?
How much will it cost?
I am living in barking.

contact the governing bodies such as APHC and IPHE and ask for advice that way regarding course providers
bob

I'd say go down your local technical college, chat to the tutors, enrol for 2 evenings a week and spend about £400 a year.. your learn the C&G skills, carry on earning and work out if its for you.

leave your job - get a proper apprenticeship do 4 years - its the only way youve got a chance of being taken on at end of training - companies are wising up to the fast tracker and will not take them on - theyve done too much damage and the tech certs arent worth the paper theyre written on anymore - only the nvqs are looked at.

or you could go down the route of self employed - a few builders may throw some work your way - take months to pay you, or worse still go into someones house and do some damage due to the vast experiences you will come across in different enviroments - wont be your fault - juts the fact that these courses instil false confidence in people.

quick story - i once went into a house when i first started my time - my boss said to me go turn the mains off - thats a job i can do i thought haha - off i went incoming mains under the kitchen sink.... turned it off opened downstairs taps to drop water - cylinder in airing cupboard - hot draining down cold tap in kitchen stopped - went upstairs and cut into the mains pipe feeding feed and expansion cistern - booomf water coming out, fresh into my time i panicked thought it was just water in the pipework (knowing what i know now, there wouldnt be this much water in pipework) the pipe slice finally cut through pipe and 3 bar mains pressure flew out of the pipe in attic space - put my thumb over it haha water still ****ing out (can laugh about it now but at time mate i was bricking it)

turned out there was another mains coming in through cloakroom wc and this was feeding the cwsc and the f&e cistern.

Imagine you were on your own in a situation like that - luckily for me i had my boss downstairs running round while i kept my thumb on this pipe still flew out though - cause quite a bit of damage which we had to sort out - i always carry pushfit stop ends in my pocket now.

honestly mate serving your time is the only way to go imo.

fairplay to the lads whove done the short courses a few of them on here and quite succesful too - but if you have the chance get a proper apprenticeship done - i was 28 when i started mine finished it 3 years later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Instead of plumbing, as you have already done tiling, why not get into ceramic tiling. All the tiling guys round here are always fully booked and well in advance. There are plenty of tiling courses going round.
Don't believe the hype about plumbers earning 70k, there's too many plumbers now chasing fewer work and in many cases I know guys taking on work at break even prices, just to get the work in the hope that it leads to something else. My trade as a bathroom installer just can't be learnt on a short course as is the case with the guys who do gas and heating etc.
Do yourself a favour mate and save your money for something else, tiling is a good career and as a bathroom installer, I always have work for them.

Having lived in your area. And your aim to earn 200 a week, i am sure there are many plumbers around you that would love to get a bit of labour for 40 pound a day. Just ask around, as its a good way to find if its the trade for you. Please be aware job and trade opportunities so close to our Capital are some of the best in our Country.

Well be honest I did my bathroom tilling and my floor laminating and my friends house as well. I do work in a super store in the week ends fri-sun day nights and rest of the week I got to do some thing. can I earn 100-200 by the week days? or those happy days are gone.
thanks
i've changed my mind i'm not even going to bother....!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to where should i learn plumbing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock