Search the forum,

Discuss Where should I connect my garden tap pipe? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone,

I'm about to install a garden tap pipe on a new build, but I'm a bit confused with the pipework I'm seeing under the kitchen sink. Here is a picture of what I'm seeing:

Screenshot 2023-05-01 010429.png

• Pipe A - Cold water pipe.
  • Pipe B - Behind the wood plank, B connects to a valve that shuts down the entire water flow. I suppose this is the main water pipe.
  • Pipe C - This pipe leads back in into the wall.
  • Pipe D - Hot water pipe.
Can anyone help me understand what is pipe C and where is it going? If I were to install a garden tap, where would I place a Tee fitting? on pipe A or would I swap one of those elbows leading to pipe C with a Tee fitting and use that?

Thank you

Are you in a hard water area? If so, my guess is that the original plan was for B to be the hard-water feed to a softener (or perhaps a filter) and C was to receive the treated water. The kitchen tap has to be supplied direct from the (unsoftened) mains.

You don't want to supply a garden tap with softened water, so I'd take it from the 'B' side rather than the 'C' side in case someone ever does want to install a softener.

Professional plumbers don't use brass compression-fittings without good reason. Perhaps the spec changed late in the day and there wasn't space to get a torch or press in?

All speculation, of course, but I do love a puzzle.

Are you in a hard water area? If so, my guess is that the original plan was for B to be the hard-water feed to a softener (or perhaps a filter) and C was to receive the treated water. The kitchen tap has to be supplied direct from the (unsoftened) mains.

You don't want to supply a garden tap with softened water, so I'd take it from the 'B' side rather than the 'C' side in case someone ever does want to install a softener.

Professional plumbers don't use brass compression-fittings without good reason. Perhaps the spec changed late in the day and there wasn't space to get a torch or press in?

All speculation, of course, but I do love a puzzle.
Should I solder compression fittings or would you say closing them tight should be enough?

Nothing wrong with using compression if you can't solder or circumstances dictate.

If you are confident, can solder and have the kit fine. I'd probably replace that double elbow union while adding the external tap connection just because, well it looks so wrong. Just bare in mind there'll probably be some sitting water in the vertial pipes if you can't drain or vac it out and that'll affect your ability to solder it.

Last edited:
Hhmmm I am a bit concerned that if you don't know the difference between compression fittings and a soldered fitting it maybe better to employ a plumber to do this small job, it's quite a simple job for someone who has the correct tools and skills and you have piece of mind it's been done to the water regulations and without leakage. Kop

Reply to Where should I connect my garden tap pipe? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock