Search the forum,

Discuss Where is the air coming from in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I've had a water hammer / knock. I've done the switch mains off - switch all taps on - switch main on - switch taps off procedure. It worked, no water hammer. However, few moments later, I switched on the tap in the upstairs bathroom (it's a 3 storey victorian property) and lots of air came out / water sputtering, when I switched the tap off, water hammer was back! very annoying.

Any ideas of where is the air coming into the system?

Thanks!

T

How can the op rectify it?

Hi, thanks for your reply. I just followed the instructions on several website about how to get air out of your system... I guess that was the wrong thing to do?
Is there anything else I can try?
Thanks again,
T

Simply needs to clip there rattling pipes

You could fit a shock arrestor to help the problem but this is more of a bandage than a fix

It occurs when a tap is switched off. I found that when I reduce the water pressure the hammer disappear too but it's not a great solution :/

It occurs when a tap is switched off. I found that when I reduce the water pressure the hammer disappear too but it's not a great solution :/
That type of hammer is often due to the pipework not being clipped firmly and at sufficiently frequent intervals. For 15mm pipe, clips should be no further apart than 1.2 m on horiztontal runs and 1.8 m on vertical runs. More detail here:

Thanks everyone. I guess there is no solution then? I mean, from what I can tell most/all pipes go inside the walls and behind cupboards, how would I find where they need to be clipped :oops:
Sorry if this sounds stupid but I wouldn't even know where to start

Hi

Also alot of water hammer noises are also caused by a bad gland or valve jumping.
You could have a bad cartridge in a tap. You can normally feel the tap vibrating.
It might be easier to get a professional in. Check the incoming pressure and if need be install a pressure reducing valve with a gauge. It can sometimes improve things and you can also see if the stop tap gland is jumping affecting the whole property. Hope this helps.

Reply to Where is the air coming from in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock