Search the forum,

Discuss When is Central Heating Pump supposed to be on? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello!

Let me start by saying that I am no plumber and I am looking for advice as a flat tenant.

I have set Central Heating on the programmer to come on at 5:00 am and turn off at 7:00 am each morning.

Heating works fine during the programmed hours, but I noticed that the Central Heating pump keeps working and remains very hot outside of the CH program. The boiler sporadically lights up as well so it seems like it wants to push hot water through the system (radiators stay cold though).

It seems to me that this isn't working properly and I am wasting energy and money.

I raised this issue with my landlord last year and he sent over a plumber which replaced a programmer but the issue persists.

Therefore I ask you guys for advice. What could be at fault here, please?

Many thanks,

Pav

Hello!

Let me start by saying that I am no plumber and I am looking for advice as a flat tenant.

I have set Central Heating on the programmer to come on at 5:00 am and turn off at 7:00 am each morning.

Heating works fine during the programmed hours, but I noticed that the Central Heating pump keeps working and remains very hot outside of the CH program. The boiler sporadically lights up as well so it seems like it wants to push hot water through the system (radiators stay cold though).

It seems to me that this isn't working properly and I am wasting energy and money.

I raised this issue with my landlord last year and he sent over a plumber which replaced a programmer but the issue persists.

Many thanks,

Pav
Hello!

Many thanks,

Pav

All depends on your system type, the controls fitted and how it’s all been wired up! Some systems have the pump live controlled from the boiler...some from the valves and some from a fuse spur...more info required dude

Most modern boilers have a "pump overrun" which runs the pump to cool the boiler after use. Generally the boiler will keep the pump running for around 5-10 mins after use.

Do you have a hot water cylinder? Or do you have a combi boiler. Could be sticking microswitch on ch valve or hw valve, the valves are not actually opening but the demand is still there to the boiler. If you have combi boiler it could just be preheat on (boiler will ignite every now an then to produce hw faster) as others have said bit more info on your set up would help narrow it down. Most boilers do have a pump overrun so the pump will continue to run after demand ends 5-10 mins but shouldn’t fire the boiler sporadically

Some boilers have an over run which means they carry on a bit after being switched off by the timer...however some boilers have an automatic feature which means they sound like they are running but in actual fact its just the fan operating , no gas consumed no water heated there are loads like this, hope this clarify matters, next time you have your gas inspected under landlord and tennants regulations every 12 months be there and ask the
gsr engineer yourself...centralheatking

Some boilers have an over run which means they carry on a bit after being switched off by the timer...however some boilers have an automatic feature which means they sound like they are running but in actual fact its just the fan operating , no gas consumed no water heated there are loads like this, hope this clarify matters, next time you have your gas inspected under landlord and tennants regulations every 12 months be there and ask the
'Registered Professional Gas Engineer' engineer yourself...centralheatking
Thanks very much. I will do that.

Reply to When is Central Heating Pump supposed to be on? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Can central heating / gas engineer expert help me with below issue. During winter time only, I have been having issue with low pressure or pressure dropping with unvented hot water cylinder system. During summer time there is no usage of central heating so the pressure at unvented system is not...
Replies
Views
So a strange conundrum regarding water temp if anyone can help resolve, would be much appreciated. Ive tried to give as much info as possible to give a full picture but let me know if ive missed anything. I have a Baxi Avanta 25h heat only boiler. Works fine. Unvented 300ltr megaflow. Stated...
Replies
Views
My central heating is run off a heat pump ( air to water ) quite expensive to run , So I’m plainning to fit a wood burning with a back boiler to connect to the heating system, So while the wood burning on during winter months it will stop the heat pump for working hard Or not all all . My...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem could be. We have a biomass boiler and stratification tank set up and recently had an issue with boiler pressure dropping off when the system was cold...
Replies
Views
My son has just had a new boiler fitted and hes noticed that the pump runs 24x7 even when both the heating and hot water are set to off. He’s also found that when the hot water is set to off on the programe timer, the boiler is still heating up water. I wonder if this is because the engineer...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock