Search the forum,

Discuss When a Plumber doesn't reply back in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this common where a plumber will come out and then fail to send through a quote for work?

I have called a few plumbers and they have said they would call back to arrange a time but have not and two have come out and failed to get back to me with a quote.

Strange behaviour.

Is this common where a plumber will come out and then fail to send through a quote for work?

I have called a few plumbers and they have said they would call back to arrange a time but have not and two have come out and failed to get back to me with a quote.

Strange behaviour.
Don’t read too much into it mate. We just get busy. Send him a gentle text reminder that you are still waiting.

Any good plumber will be busy. It’s the ones twiddling their thumbs you want to avoid.
True a lot of the time but there are rare instances when this isn’t the case. I.e recommended engineers.

• Agree
Reactions: WC1
I'll be honest, if there's a pattern to it then something about the job or the customer is putting them off.
If they're random contacts then it's much more likely they'll not get back if they're not completely happy.
Getting a contractor through someone you know not only gives you more confidence in them but also gives them more confidence in you.

Nothing strange about that behaviour.
Remember you likely are only one of numerous people who will be contacting most of the plumbers.
Many will not need your job or your money to be honest.

I do that frequently - call to look at job and never come back with an estimate.
If I am busy, or the job looks to be very involving, or shoddy plumbing supposedly to connect to, or if the potential customer is expecting miracles, or is the type that has already got several other prices, or seems dodgy, then I stay clear.

Nothing strange about that behaviour.
Remember you likely are only one of numerous people who will be contacting most of the plumbers.
Many will not need your job or your money to be honest.

I do that frequently - call to look at job and never come back with an estimate.
If I am busy, or the job looks to be very involving, or shoddy plumbing supposedly to connect to, or if the potential customer is expecting miracles, or is the type that has already got several other prices, or seems dodgy, then I stay clear.

I disagre completely. This not how our trade works.

Everyone knows that if you dont want the job, you put a silly high price in....

J

I forget people every now and then. Give them a reminder.

How long have you left it? For bigger jobs it's quite common for me to take a couple of weeks. But some people seem to think you will have it done in a day or 2.

We were trying to get some slabs laid and a fence done. We tried 6 landscape gardeners 3 called us back 2 came out not 1 quote though. 1 of them got back to us about 2 weeks ago (obviously gone quiet) and said I just need to come back and measure up again. We said dont bother as I've done it myself now.

Strange behaviour.
I have been out to loads of quotes over the years 40 + god knows 10,000 + and if the job did not suit us maybe at the time, or we were busy or you
in my opinion were looking like you might not be able to pay
then I would just park you...however sometimes they might come back nicely then it would be worth it
chking

I disagre completely. This not how our trade works.

Everyone knows that if you dont want the job, you put a silly high price in..

J

I am always afraid to do what you said (put a silly high estimate in) in case the customer comes back to me wanting the job done that I was trying to side step! :)

Last edited:
Many's the time I've "stuck a nought on" (another name for a giving a go away price ) and they've said "yes" and I've had to say "I'm too busy".
Now I just don't bother getting back to them

Reminds me of a

I am always afraid to do what you said (put a silly high estimate in) in case the customer comes back to me wanting the job done that I was trying to side step! :)
Isn't that a win though? Set those expectation with the customer clearly and forthrightly!

OP. Truth is, most people offering work do so on terms often unacceptable to those asked to look at it. By way of examples, it could be an insistance that something is done that simply will not work correctly or that a make of kit is installed that is utter junk.

I used to try to talk people round but one quickly realises you are wasting your breath - plumbers are simply not respected. I also tried saying the job wasn't for me (I dont want it) but people then often became abusive.

The fact of the matter is that you are suffering from our societal lack of empathy.

If you want someone to quote you, call them in and ask for their honest professional opinion - and then listen to it and act upon it. The likelyhood is that youll get a proper job and youll be happy. What you will not get tho is a cheap job. Good & cheap are impossible ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Strange behaviour.

What is it you are asking of them? What is it you want doing? Maybe there’s asbestos removal and they are waiting in a quote from a company to remove? Maybe they don’t want the job or some have said are too busy? Some people are also persnickety, which I would personally avoid.

The people I found were off the major boiler maker websites - their accredited installers.

I just assumed if I wanted a Boiler then an accredited installer knows that boiler make better than someone who isnt accredited?

Doesn’t mean it’s an easy job just because they’re accredited. Get some independents out listen to what they have to say

The people I found were off the major boiler maker websites - their accredited installers.

I just assumed if I wanted a Boiler then an accredited installer knows that boiler make better than someone who isnt accredited?
Sounds reasonable and logical to me so either the job is a @#$* or there is something else.

most people wont move existing boilers due to too many risks eg not working afterwards etc

Any decent Plumber will be busy I would be more worried if they bit your arm off for the work and came next day , I have gone down the route off pricing higher especially on large jobs where you are tieing yourself up for weeks on end, a phone call from you would at least let you know where you stand JL. Cheers kop

most people wont move existing boilers due to too many risks eg not working afterwards etc

So I am pretty much buggered then. If thats the case why didnt the installers just say that over the phone.

If moving a boiler is that troublesome then I may as well just leave it.

It they were from the major boiler mfrs then they are specifically in the business of fitting new boilers and won't want to move old boilers.
(And if the boiler has "done it's duty" and your not on the bread line why not get new - energy efficiency etc etc)

It they were from the major boiler mfrs then they are specifically in the business of fitting new boilers and won't want to move old boilers.
(And if the boiler has "done it's duty" and your not on the bread line why not get new - energy efficiency etc etc)

Its more a case of - what happens if the boiler does not work properly when moved. Whose risk is it ?

He said a new boiler in a new location not move his existing boiler to a new location.

To be fair I read it as moving an old boiler too now I’m not sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to When a Plumber doesn't reply back in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock