Search the forum,

Discuss Wheelhead Gate Valve unscrewed but won't slide off pipework in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, this is my first post to this esteemed forum so please excuse any faux pas.
The red wheel head gate compression valve has seized half on-half off so I have unthreaded the nuts holding it in place (wasn't easy) ready to replace with a 22mm Pegler ball valve (bought from S...x - the only chain outlet I have found retailing Peglers for under a tenner). The bottom part of the gate valve slid off the pipe work easily (exposing the olive) but the top part won't budge. The top nut keeps slipping back onto the thread so I have tied it up. I have tried lubing the valve with copious amounts of WD40 (if that is the correct technical expression); heating it with a blow dryer for 2 to 3 minutes; yanking it downwards with pliers; turning it back and forth, and banging it with a wrench (pre-6pm), but nowt works. I would upload photos but don't know how to do this on this site (tried accessing Help but found nothing there about uploading images, and when I returned to my post all the text had disappeared - so this is my 2nd version). Oh, yes, I have loosened the gland nut and removed the small nut in the centre of the wheel head but the spindle does not pull out. I have also failed to loosen by any degree the nut that surrounds the spindle at the base of the valve. One of the issues is limited access and getting both hands to the area to apply pressure and torque. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Sorry for War & Peace.

Hi RobG,

To upload a photo, you need to upload file which is underneath text box, choose photo library and select photo, but all depends on what operating system and computer/device you’re using.

With the gate valve, it could be tight between the two olives, so you might have to see if there’s any “play” in the pipe(s) top and or bottom, therefor per you should be able to remove?

Ok, thanks for this. I'll try uploading photos now. I use Windows 10 Pro and the photos were taken on an older iPhone. Wow, it worked. When I tried before posting I was directed to put in an URL so I guess I must have chosen the wrong options.

Hot Water Cylinder & Gate Valve - 9.6.19.jpg

Hot Water Cylinder 9.6.19.jpg

I can’t see any reason why that won’t come off. Try grabbing the red wheel with your hands, pulling down and twist side to side, if you can’t get it with your hands try some grips.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, so much, CBW1982 (or can I call you pennywise?). You gave me the confidence to have another go and pull harder. So I propped up the upper pipework (see photo); grabbed a hold of the bottom of the valve with my small footprint wrench and yanked. Off it came with a little water (the cold mains was turned off). You're a star. Thanks again. By the way, when fitting the new lever ball valve should I leave the olives in situ?

Gate Valve removed 10.6.19.jpg

Thanks, so much, CBW1982 (or can I call you pennywise?). You gave me the confidence to have another go and pull harder. So I propped up the upper pipework (see photo); grabbed a hold of the bottom of the valve with my small footprint wrench and yanked. Off it came with a little water (the cold mains was turned off). You're a star. Thanks again. By the way, when fitting the new lever ball valve should I leave the olives in situ?

View attachment 39086

No worries. I’d either use existing but wrap with ptfe tape, or go for new ones, but can’t see quality of olive on pipe. You might be better replacing them to make sure you get the socket depth and use ptfe for belt and braces. P.s. call me what you want, I’ve been called worse :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Wheelhead Gate Valve unscrewed but won't slide off pipework in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock