Search the forum,

Discuss Whats the minimum width for a walk in shower entrance in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

I've had a 1400x900 shower tray fitted at the end of a 1400 wide bathroom so essentially in an alcove.

I wanted to get a glass panel of just under 1000mm and not bother with a door, that would leave a space of just over 400mm to walk in and out. Do you think that would be ok. No fatties in the family:)

Sounds too narrow even if you are thin, it will be awkward and think about moving forward age if still there also selling house people would think it too small

400mm does seem small,
But, this is from a custom enclosure site and they start door sizes at 400mm,

Shower door size.PNG

The recommended minimum width is 550mm, but I don't think there is any regulation on this.
Some of the quadrant corner showers have doors down to 420mm wide, or even smaller (on the curve)

If you would like to offer visitors more convenient access (!), you could make the opening 550, and put a 150mm flappy 'door' on the end, hinged both ways, which when showering, you could swing inwards to stop water splashing out onto the floor? But if you go to that trouble, you might as well have a door!

I find having a shower in an open ended enclosure is a lot more chilly than one with a door, where it builds up a nice warm fug to shower in šŸ¤Ŗ! Depends on the size of the bathroom and how warm you keep it I suppose.

Otherwise just go with 400 and see how the family gets on with it!

I wouldnā€™t go smaller than 600

600 feels massive when its actually fitted.

Have done a 450 opening for a big lady (I just fitted it didn't do the design) and it was fine for me to get in and out working but she must have struggled to use it.

In my experience the minimum size glass I would say that doesn't splash outside (shower and tray dependant) is 1100. You could go with a smaller screen and use a return panel (also known as a flipper)

600mm for me.

Perhaps have the showerhead coming out of the ceiling 600mm from the end wall towards the entrance, aim back towards the end wall. Iā€™ve done this and it helps.

Reply to Whats the minimum width for a walk in shower entrance in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. Itā€™s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock