Search the forum,

Discuss what’s the future hold for smart stats in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cicco01

For all that smart thermostats are said to be, they are just a remote switch. There are so many promises of what they can do, but if they don’t read the fault codes on the boiler, predict faults, suggest energy savings etc what’s the point. But all of this can be done via a connected boiler anyway.

So once Boiler IQ, or some other form of chip is mass produced, where does that leave the smart stat. it will be a fraction of the price and do everything a stat should do except switch the boiler on and off

Even better once the low powered network is rolled out to support smart meters, the boiler chip can use that and avoid more cost from 2g/3g connection requirement.

Some stats are opentherm compatible and modulate the boiler depending on outside temperature, so they do more than just on/off switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to what’s the future hold for smart stats in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys, I have a fault on a clients heating system whereby the heating will stay on regardless of what the programmer is doing on its timed function, it'll switch off at the programmer (no light) but boiler will stay on until they turn the stat down, I went and looked at it, they said they...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Just wanted to share my experience with "upgrading" an S plan setup to Opentherm and Vaillant Control Center (VR66). There are a few threads on a few different forums but I wanted to share a full write-up with all the steps needed, benefits and costs. Overall, I fully recommend...
Replies
Views
Hi, As per the thread title, I have an Ideal Logic Combi 30 and I am having a problem with the pump, which keeps activating without any DHW/DCH. When the pump activates, it runs for exactly 4 minutes each time and this can happen as frequently as something like 5 times an hour or as...
Replies
Views
I recently moved into a flat with a Worcester Bosch CDi 35 Compact (or Classic System maybe?) and the thermostat on the boiler was broken (the thermostat was visibly damaged). I replaced it with a Drayton LP20RF receiver and thermostat. The boiler guy came round once other work was completed to...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I should start off by stating that I'm not in the industry - I'm just a DIYer with a "what-if" idea. Hybrid systems and solar diverters are nothing new, but as far as I can see the current hybrid systems all require a change of boiler and I'm going to propose a system which could use...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock