Search the forum,

Discuss Whats the best way to clean/restore used hand tools? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

malcky

Adjustables/wrenches and spanners for example...what tricks do you guys know of to get stuff back in good working order?

Don't get them in bad order in the first place!

Always give any moving parts a dot of oil the odd time & especially if the tool has been in water. Try not to leave them out in rain. Don't get chemicals on them or sulphur from boilers & if you do, clean them & then wipe them with an oily rag. Spray of WD40 is a good quick way of cleaning them up. A soak overnight in a container of oil sorts a rusted spanner.
And buy tools that are quality. I have a few cheap chromed spanners & the chrome is blistering as rusting beneath. A Teng set I have is like new but costs a bit more.

Last edited:
If it's literally a clean up of a rusted spanner, I use some steel wool & elbow grease tbh.

Im talking about cleaning up any things i might buy on ebay or at car boot sales...not from my own miss use.

When you say soak in oil...are you just talking about bog standard motor oil?
Then just wipe clean with a rag or wire brush it afterwards?

Motor oil would do, but thinner oil would be better. Any of the spray oils like WD40 (which you can buy cheaper in a large container with a pump spray) are best as they penetrate well but also contain solvents that clean. That way, it does the work, not you.
Guess usually just steel wool or emery or wire brush may be needed. A brush attachment on a drill or a Dremel would be great.

One tool that is impossible to restore is a hand saw. The metal seems to be so pure it rusts badly if damp, so keep them dry & give them a wipe with oily rag or else you end up with a ruined saw.

ok cool...thanks. Im going to check out what bargains i can find in car boot sales seeing as a lot of older stuff is better produced/made than it is today.

It was suggested on another thread that the Bahco 224 saw was decent...these are not too dear new that i wouldnt bother looking second hand for them....wrenched/spanners/hammers/pliers are the kimd of things i was thinking could pick up.

My grandad found a an old pair of his 24" Record stillsons in the loft. They were rusted to **** but worked fine. I soaked them in a container of distilled vinegar for a few days. Pulled them out wiped them over, gave them a coat of blue Hamerite and they were good as new.

I now use them all the time.

I always give my other tools a little wipe down at the end of the day and a spray with wd40 every now and again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just tried the vinegar method on a cheepy hammer that had loads of surface rust all over it....plastic tub with enough vinegar to cover the head of hammer and left it for a few days, just wiped it of with a wheel brush and cant believe its come up like new...still a crap hammer but its clean now. Thats got to be the cheapest and easiest tool cleaner ever.....not quick though.

I thought that we all just bought a complete new tool kit for every job. With the extortionate sums we all earn a new tool kit is a drop in the ocean.

Think will just stick to the vinegar method from now on as easy and cheap too...read you can add some baking soda and lemon juice for a bit extra removing oomph...anyone done that?

seen a cracking video on youtube using loctite naval jelly and only takes 15 mins to do....results were incredible but not found it in the UK, unless its got a different name here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Whats the best way to clean/restore used hand tools? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The existing pump flows downwards. The manual for the proposed replacement recommends that it should pump upwards. This would involve rearranging the flow &...
Replies
Views
Hello. I hope someone here has the expertise to help. I know exactly what situation it took awhile. On the loft on the 6th floor there is a cold water tank this tank feeds six properties in a straight line below my property is on the third floor so in the middle. The job would entail...
Replies
Views
Gurgling sound from basin when shower running, and water seems to be backing up shower when basin running a while. Shower running slow and when using a basic plunger on it backing up a lot of waste. Bottle trap cleaned out and part of the pipe work. Should i install a bottle trap with...
Replies
Views
S
I wonder if anyone has any thoughts? Combi Logic 30 Boiler - constant pressure loss - no obvious leaking. Few years ago we got an error code indicating pressure was below minimum. We resolved ourselves by using the manual and topping up per the guide. Sometime later, in some really cold...
Replies
Views
Good morning, I recently had an extension, new bathroom and new en-suite fitted. Prior to the works the hot water worked. Now we have moved back we have no hot water. British gas came for 5 hours on saturday and replaced every single part of the boiler to do with the hot water as well as the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock