Search the forum,

Discuss What's the best tap spanner for individual taps...? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Goodenough

Esteemed
Plumber
I've an old 'Shetack' spanner which I've never used for years, also got a 1/2 & 3/4 Monument 'hook' jaw spanner which is badly worn and slips. According to Monument you can't get replacement 'hooks'. I've also got a Rothenberger telescopic version which I've found useless except being spring loaded so you don't need 2 separate claws - the head is far too chunky in my opinion, especially for basin taps!

Does anyone recommend the Today's Tools - Professional 1/2"- 3/4" Tap Back Nut and 15-22mm Tap Connector Set type, looks a great bit of kit but quite pricey?
43610.jpg

The claw's at the top of the photo you can buy just need a 1/4 drive socket set

Have to say, we have tried nearly all.

However, all we ever recommend or use now is a 3/8 or 1/2" ratchet, an extension bar, a universal coupling to match and THIN WALL deep sockets.

No one socket fits all, so you end up with approx 6 diff socket sizes - 3 for 1/2" & 3 for 3/4". Make sure skts are 12 sided not 6.

Honestly ALWAYS been able to sort using that. Our view is spend wisely, spend once so make sure the ratchet is a reasonable quality and easy to change direction one handed and easily lubricated.

That's v helpful Dave, I have decent 1/2" drive socket set - where do you reckon best place to buy THIN WALL DEEP sockets is?

All sorts to be honest. I get mine from a monthly car mart we have nr Wetherby here. Because you're not looking for real strength, as you would need for working say on vehicles, cheaper sometimes equals thinner. Remember they don't have to be 'impact' types (you'd pay for strength you just don't need).
Google's your friend Jim just look at the images to see, even Halfords :eek:

I use either the normal springy type claw or the armeg jawdroppers

All sorts to be honest. I get mine from a monthly car mart we have nr Wetherby here. Because you're not looking for real strength, as you would need for working say on vehicles, cheaper sometimes equals thinner. Remember they don't have to be 'impact' types (you'd pay for strength you just don't need).
Google's your friend Jim just look at the images to see, even Halfords :eek:
Cheers Dave - are you Dave Foster? If yes we've spoken before.
Rgds Jim

I use the Todays tools kit which works on most taps (but not all!) so still resort to the crows foot at times. A word of warning...the 1/4" ratchet in the kit is cheap & nasty and I quickly replaced it with a better quality one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What's the best tap spanner for individual taps...? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock