Search the forum,

Discuss whats it called and where do i get one in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

ambrosia

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
guy from transco had a cool tool that was a cross between a screwdriver and a socket which was specifically for taking the nuts off of meters test nipples

it was like a screwdriver in that it had a long shaft and a socket in that it went over the nut and held it till you screwed it back in to the meter

it had a handle which looked like these allen keys
DRAPER 35383 10PCE T HANDLE METRIC ALLEN KEY SET IN STAND 2MM TO 10MM | eBay

far better than struggling with a screwdriver or risk snapping those nuts with an adjustable spanner

I want one but can find where you can get them from, somebody point me in the right direction

thanks

I don't know what's it called but I'm sure your plumber should have one that's where I got mine from.

guy from transco had a cool tool that was a cross between a screwdriver and a socket which was specifically for taking the nuts off of meters test nipples

it was like a screwdriver in that it had a long shaft and a socket in that it went over the nut and held it till you screwed it back in to the meter

it had a handle which looked like these allen keys
DRAPER 35383 10PCE T HANDLE METRIC ALLEN KEY SET IN STAND 2MM TO 10MM | eBay

far better than struggling with a screwdriver or risk snapping those nuts with an adjustable spanner

I want one but can find where you can get them from, somebody point me in the right direction

thanks

I have 2 made by CK grey handles 8mm fire, SIT gas valves test points etc and 10mm for meters, i asked for sockets drivers

The one and only tool I've ever bought from the pound shop was a socket set for this very purpose, the handle is narrow therefore you don't get much grip ( perfect so I don't snap the text point) I've taped the 10mm socket onto the bar to stop it falling off when I put it in the (screwdriver) side pocket of the tool bag
I chucked the other sockets in the bin haha as I only wanted it for test point I've had it for years and its still going strong

I just use a screwdriver, or failing that an adjustable spanner!!

Yes I could use a nut driver, but never felt the need to be honest.

Nut driver is ideal because
1)It fits
2)No danger of slippage/splinterage using a screwdriver
3)It positively locates
4)You can easily gauge the small amount of torque required to ensure a good seal without snappage.
5)You can pop the nipple screw in the end and use the tool to guide it home instead of faffing about/dropping it/loosing it

Someone recently suffered severe and permanent optical damage whilst using a screwdriver in that the brass splintered/pinged off and embedded itself in his eye..nasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to whats it called and where do i get one in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical, carpentry it's been never ending. The house was built by Barratt Homes in the year 2000, it is a 3 bedroom house called a Palmerston, the CH/HW system is a Y...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock