Search the forum,

Discuss Tap covered in Limescale and salt in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

CC7D85AF-383A-4ACB-A682-F6C74BC6092B.jpeg
Right guys I know this is a tundish but.... I don’t know what’s going on here I can never catch it in the act of leaking or dripping and it’s not loads but there’s always a little bit of water at the bottom of the unit and as you can see a Rubbish load of limescale! Can I just clean this off or does this need proper attention, I don’t mind buying a new part to replace it, it’s connected to my water softener I think I just want to know if it’s an urgent problem or not thanks in advance

1. If it is connected to an ion exchange type of water softener, then it is either the waste or the overflow.
2. If its the waste:
2a. It will have brine running through it every regeneration. This normally happens in the early hours of the morning, and will be a fairly strong flow.
2b. The crystals could be a mixture of limescale and salt.
2c. If it is not flushing away completely there is a blockage downstream which needs to be cleared.
3. If its the overflow, then:
3a. It should never really have water in it, and if it does, then the water softener needs attention.
3b. Points 2b and 2c also apply.
4. Yes, it needs attention. However, as it must have taken some time to get in that state, its hard to see that it is urgent.
5. Check and clear any blockage in the pipe downstream.
6. Clear away the current mess, alter the clock / do a manual regeneration, and see what happens.

Do you have a Tap boiler water unit ?

Do you have a Tap boiler water unit ?

Reckon it's a Franke one (installed one for my son 5 yrs ago, it turned his sink base unit into a mould hole - lack of ventilation).

Sorry doesn't help the OP.
[automerge]1596741864[/automerge]
2c. If it is not flushing away completely there is a blockage downstream which needs to be cleared.
3. If its the overflow, then:
3a. It should never really have water in it, and if it does, then the water softener needs attention.
3b. Points 2b and 2c also apply.
4. Yes, it needs attention. However, as it must have taken some time to get in that state, its hard to see that it is urgent.
5. Check and clear any blockage in the pipe downstream.

From experience I've found it's quite difficult to ensure the overflow/pressure relief from a hot tap e.g. Billi, Franke, Quooker has a continuous fall on it, even it's normally a very short distance. The pipe is flexible and because it's so low down it's very difficult to fit with a fall, therefore water sits in the overflow.

Quite a waffle - maybe it helps.....

Last edited:

Reply to Tap covered in Limescale and salt in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock