Search the forum,

Discuss Whats happened to the look of the forum in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
hate to say it but all advertising gets ignored in reality, until you need something, then you forget where you saw what you needed :)
Ha.

Ha ha.

Ha ha ha.

Ha ha ha ha.

Ha ha ha ha ha.

So that explains why your favourite intergas is market leader, and Worcester Bosch is just a minor player?

...oh...hang on...wait...

who just strangled Ray's pet cat, oh me :) anyhow ford advertise like mad and that doesnt make them as good as rolls royce who dont bother :)

mass sales dont make them better, long been known that the need to make profits on cheaper products means reliability isnt always as good, not saying ig are rolls royce boilers, but they seem to be a good reliable product, based on my limited experience of the mass boiler market. Just coz they wont let you sell them, you really must chat to the new boss and get them on your shelves.

mass sales dont make them better, long been known that the need to make profits on cheaper products means reliability isnt always as good, not saying ig are rolls royce boilers, but they seem to be a good reliable product, based on my limited experience of the mass boiler market. Just coz they wont let you sell them, you really must chat to the new boss and get them on your shelves.

You said that "all advertising gets ignored".

Which is demonstrably untrue. As evidenced by the runaway sales of well advertised brands in both the car and boiler markets.

ray, in all seriousness the only real advertising is word of mouth, the rest is something the advertising moguls have managed to sell to people needing to get their products sold. would you honestly buy a car based on a tv ad or something clarkson said ? boilers are normally sold to customers based on their plumbers recommendation, at least mine are, Ive yet to see an intergas ad. ITV and other commercial channels havent cotonned onto the fact its wasted now sky allows people to skip ads, me I just make a coffee or go for a pee. Prehaps Im the exception to the rule, but big advertising pushes always puts me off products, they seem desparate and annoying.

You read my mind there Jon. Back in the olden days tv ads were generally un obtrusive and a welcome break. Now there are sometimes more ads than program and they are a pita so anyone who has a pvr records the program and either blocks or skips the ads. The internet is getting the same way. I need a better adblocker.

ray, in all seriousness the only real advertising is word of mouth, the rest is something the advertising moguls have managed to sell to people needing to get their products sold. would you honestly buy a car based on a tv ad or something clarkson said ? boilers are normally sold to customers based on their plumbers recommendation, at least mine are, Ive yet to see an intergas ad. ITV and other commercial channels havent cotonned onto the fact its wasted now sky allows people to skip ads, me I just make a coffee or go for a pee. Prehaps Im the exception to the rule, but big advertising pushes always puts me off products, they seem desparate and annoying.

Hi Jon

There are a lot of people who report the same attitude as you towards advertising. Its so common that advertisers have a word for them. They call people like you "consumers".

And whilst I can't speak for you, I can tell you that in aggregate people who self report as being "immune from" or "anti" advertising have exactly the same purchasing patterns as everyone else.

Google ads have gone for those with 10+ posts.

Sponsors sidebar can be collapsed if you're in any group UKPF Arms or above.

So you can browse the website with no ads if you wish now.

Online advertising is the worlds largest advertising avenue for any company. We need the sponsors logo's on the forum so you know who to try first when buying a product. But as with any advertising campaign, a logo alone doesn't cut the mustard, you need an offer from time to time, or some new products to get discussed etc.

If you think advertising is dead, and only word of mouth works, I'm afraid to say (and be a bit blunt/harsh in doing so) you don't know what you're talking about.

I see there is an issue with collapsing the sidebar, it doesn't save the setting and visiting a new thread brings it back. Looking into this now.

I hate fluid screens where everything moves around as you change the browser window size. I like OCD-style fixed width designs me. ;)

Still summat not quite right but can't put my finger on it. It is better though. Thanks

Now, if we could just have an "edit" button in the arms, everything would be wonder-bubble. :)

Now, if we could just have an "edit" button in the arms, everything would be wonder-bubble. :)

There's an edit button in all forums. It's a global setting. There is a time limit on editing a post though. I think it's a hour or so. Notice your mistakes quicker. ;)

The reason we do it is to prevent members posting something, other people quoting it, the thread getting a few pages deep, then if a couple of people change their original text, the quoted text isn't right later in the thread, and it can render some long threads to read a bit useless and out of context.

We've also had issues where friday night drinks have caused a guy to have a few responses from regulars, then he's edited his arsey posts saturday, and it's left regulars looking like plonkers arguing to themselves.

Also had an issue year ago where a regular edited all his posts and he changed every single one to some random word. Rendering about 30% of the forum useless.

Just always wise to have edit times set low.

Last edited:
There's an edit button in all forums. It's a global setting. There is a time limit on editing a post though. I think it's a hour or so. Notice your mistakes quicker. ;)

The reason we do it is to prevent members posting something, other people quoting it, the thread getting a few pages deep, then if a couple of people change their original text, the quoted text isn't right later in the thread, and it can render some long threads to read a bit useless and out of context.

We've also had issues where friday night drinks have caused a guy to have a few responses from regulars, then he's edited his arsey posts saturday, and it's left regulars looking like plonkers arguing to themselves.

Also had an issue year ago where a regular edited all his posts and he changed every single one to some random word. Rendering about 30% of the forum useless.

Just always wise to have edit times set low.

In the arms we have no edit at all dan?
can make a post, can't edit it 10 seconds later.

make up a test profile and see.

This is getting very near to being perfect!

Just one thing seems to be missing.

We used to be able to see who was browsing each thread. It was at the bottom of the screen. Could we have that back please?

I quite enjoy the new layout. Well done Dan, you've done a good job.

It was always worth testing new things out with the site.

is it me or are there loads of highlighted words now that give pop ups!!!!!!!!!!, only does it on the forum not on any other browser, its becoming really annoying

Is it me, or is the forum just generally less busy these days? Doesn't seem as many new posts, or quick replies as there was a couple of years back?

Is it just me, or has the forum changed in appearance?

It still looks the same on my iPad, but on my PC it is only using the middle part of the screen, and the sponsors logos are on the left and more intrusive.

Is there a setting I can change to put it back to how it was, or is this a vBulletin "upgrade"?

part of it is your fault ! keep advertising on the top page :)pmsl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Whats happened to the look of the forum in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock