Search the forum,

Discuss What we all driving out of work time . in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

king of pipes

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
With my first grandchild due in October and a 2.5 hour journey each way to visit my son his partner and new granchild I need to upgrade my ageing Honda CRV I think it will be another one but maybe a automatic this time , what do you guys drive and use as a family car and recommend for long journeys. Regards Kop

We have a Fiat tipo station wagon and a smart cabrio both automatics also have a modern Vespa an lxv
[automerge]1598166333[/automerge]
With my first grandchild due in October and a 2.5 hour journey each way to visit my son his partner and new granchild I need to upgrade my ageing Honda CRV I think it will be another one but maybe a automatic this time , what do you guys drive and use as a family car and recommend for long journeys. Regards Kop
Had a crv years ago loved it we only get autos now so much easier when city driving also great for cruising on motorway would have another one again if we could afford one

Last edited:
We’ve had a manual gear Vauxhall Meriva 1.4 Life for approx 8 years and it’s a decent family car. My wife used to have an automatic Honda Civic before our kids came along which she loved. I have driven a manual geared Peugeot 206 Sw which waa really comfortable to drive, just a pita when simple things went wrong - can’t remember the fault but the whole dashboard had to come out to access a wiring loom. Wife also had a manual Nissan Micra when her Civic was written off because of some idiot, she loved it and I hated it 😂 both enjoy the Meriva.

We have a Ford S-Max 2ltr Auto Diesel as the family car, it's 5 years old, done 25k miles and been great. It does 40 mpg, can carry 7 and to date has run faultlessly. Also it is excellent for tip runs as all the seats lay flat and it is huge inside. Probably better with a petrol if you don't do the miles though, we don't and have been warned about the filters even from Ford themselves.

The misses has a Ford Kuga (previously had a Focus). The Kuga has a higher driving position like my van and is a good 5 seater with the power to match from a 1.5l petrol turbo engine. The usual Ford features like heated windscreen are useful when she sets off the early shifts in the winter.

We bought this last year 3 years old and had been on a motorbility contract - only had 16k miles on the clock, so add the 7K the misses does and we'll be keeping this a long time

We have Skoda Kodiaq on lease, 4wd, 5 seats, 7 when needed - when grandsons come to stay or daughters have friends. Not cheap but good value for money, might well be worth looking at the Karoo or Seat equivalent.
[automerge]1598198306[/automerge]
Would definitely recommend DSG/automatic for family car.

Had a test drive in a Honda crv black edition auto very tempting anyone had a ceramic coating treatment applied to their car? seagulls are the big problem where we live alot of mixed reviews online . Regards kop

Attachments

• IMG_20200822_141451.jpg
    IMG_20200822_141451.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20200822_141432.jpg
    IMG_20200822_141432.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 14
I would have another cry if we can afford one we have always gone for new cars so prohibitive at the moment worth a look at View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGXMeY-jsUw
Seen that one bud thankyou, it seems if it's all in the prep it needs alot of work before hand to get a glossy even finish can't see a main dealer putting that amount of time in ?? . Cheers kop

As you probably know KOP, black cars are notorious for showing up the dirt so I think getting a protective coating is a good idea if it helps it stay clean as well as make it easier to clean. It really depends of what sort of owner you are, will you be the type to be happy cleaning it every weekend or less or eventually resent doing it? I personally wouldn't buy a black car for that very reason as I've only ever cleaned mine when I really have to in thirty years of ownership irrespective of it's age or condtion but then it still looks presentable at a distance even when it is actually quite filthy.

Interweb pic of my model, it's a fairly bright blue so hides the dirt fairly easily.

Honda_Accord_Tourer_Type_S_%28DBA-CW2%29_front.JPG

As you probably know KOP, black cars are notorious for showing up the dirt so I think getting a protective coating is a good idea if it helps it stay clean as well as make it easier to clean. It really depends of what sort of owner you are, will you be the type to be happy cleaning it every weekend or less or eventually resent doing it? I personally wouldn't buy a black car for that very reason as I've only ever cleaned mine when I really have to in thirty years of ownership irrespective of it's age or condtion but then it still looks presentable at a distance even when it is actually quite filthy.

Interweb pic of my model, it's a fairly bright blue so hides the dirt fairly easily.

Honda_Accord_Tourer_Type_S_%28DBA-CW2%29_front.JPG
we had one of them after the CRV

Diesel or petrol? Mines getting on a bit, but it still looks good when I eventually clean it. ;)
from memory it was 2.00 litre petrol nice car but we found it to big for what we needed also was manual and we were both used to autos. even though I had a manual van. prefer to dive autos now we have had that many

Looks nice, petrol or diesel?
Diesel
Yeah but are you going to spend another wedge on a ceramic coating?
Yes mate probably but think it will be a detailer job as Scott mentioned, the main dealers just don't do put the effort in machine polishing scratches and swirl marks and any minor imperfections in the laquer washing and degreasing the car before the coating .
[automerge]1598939656[/automerge]
Looks nice, petrol or diesel?
1.6 iDTEC mate better on fuel

It may not ever apply to you but if you ever have a DPF problem in or out of warranty, give us a shout as I know someone that can errrrrr probably fix it.

Looks like your car mate.....it's the particle not fuel filter that can be problematic.

Last edited:
It may not ever apply to you but if you ever have a DPF problem in or out of warranty, give us a shout as I know someone that can errrrrr probably fix it.

Looks like your car mate...it's the particle not fuel filter that can be problematic.

On a serious note, the 1.6 idtec is a bit underpowered for your heavy lump. Give these guys a call if you're in driving range of Leeds, turbo diesels are always tuned conservatively so can easily be uprated well within engine limits. My 2.2 idtec went from 158bhp to 210bhp and it is transformed.

Reply to What we all driving out of work time . in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Current boiler Worcester Greenstar 30CDi installed Aug 2011. Started showing error EA. Initially a rest made it work again but last Thursday it would reset but then showed the same error after a few minutes. No heating (only problem is heated towel rail does not heat) but also no hot water. Then...
Replies
Views
Hello All and thanks Lou i did write a reply but it would not let me send it? i am not sure what I am meant to write and I do not want to come over the wrong way so please keep in mind I am 57 and at school in the 70s back then was kicked out the lessons and put in remedial classes (before...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical, carpentry it's been never ending. The house was built by Barratt Homes in the year 2000, it is a 3 bedroom house called a Palmerston, the CH/HW system is a Y...
Replies
Views
Okay. So I have a ground floor shop and second floor flat for sale (potentially). No major need to get shot of them, but not a lot of point having them empty. I was practically born in that flat but no point being sentimental if I'm not intending to stay in Italy (except as a Brexit...
Replies
Views
Hi, some professional advice would be greatly appreciated, We are having an Unvented Cylinder installed into our 2 bedroom ground floor flat. I have had a few quotes and been given lots of differing advice, this always makes me wary, especially having suffered a history of poor quality work by...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock