Search the forum,

Discuss What Van do you guys and gals have? in the Plumbing Tools area at PlumbersForums.net

mutley racers

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
So it is time for me to scrap my vivaro which has just be written off my the insurance company after someone crashed into the van while parked. Lucky as I was just going to dump it this yr any way. Will be sad as have had it for 12yrs.

Any way, need to get a new one which complies with euro 6. This vivaro has been great so thinking about another one or one of the same vehicles but with a different badge.

Has anyone gone from a big van to a caddy? How did you find it? A struggle with space or better as you can organise more easily?

What racking systems do people have? At the moment I have the back split from the front. All tools in back and fittings etc in the front. Problem with this is you cannot get full 8x 4 sheets in when it's raining.

Also, where did you get them from? Brand new or 2nd hand?

Are the Ford transits any good?

Thanks all. Hope you are all keeping well.

Years ago I went from doblo to vivaro as needed to be rid of storage unit. Depends on what work you do if mainly service and small jobs I would go for dobl/caddy size. I loved my vivaro though. You just need good storage and keep it tidy, most big jobs now it’s easier to get stuff delivered. If I needed another new van I would go for vivaro or it’s equivalen. Motorpoint has some vivaros and dispatches at £16000 on 69 plates

Last edited:
Years ago I went from doblo to vivaro as needed to be rid of storage unit. Depends on what work you do if mainly service and small jobs I would go for dobl/caddy size. I loved my vivaro though. You just need good storage and keep it tidy, most big jobs now it’s easier to get stuff delivered. If I needed another new van I would go for vivaro or it’s equivalen. Motorpoint has some vivaros and dispatches at £16000 on 69 plates

Hi Mate

Thanks for the reply and advice and also the recommendation for motorpoint. I will look into them now.

I do all kinds from bathrooms to heating systems etc so think I do actually need a good size.

I see Vauxhall sell pre registered vans ( vauxhall need to register a certain amount of cars and so they register them to themselves which classes them as 2nd hand but with no one actually having owned them) for 16k which are usually 24k. Unfortunately I just missed out on these.

Doh

Have a great day mate

I've had a Vivaro from new for 2 years and it has been great. I have the long wheel base version with racking done by my joiner. It does everything I need for work, came with a 4 year warranty, breakdown and service plan and most importantly was about £10k less than the Ford or VW equivalent. I only use it for work so don't need heated seats and windows etc. Although it does have Sat Nav/Alloys/Colour bodywork etc.
A few lads who work for me also have Vivaros and have had no issues either.

I got a pre registered Trafic 3 years ago.
Have a look at the Nissan version, has a 5 year warranty I believe.

Thanks all. I see a lot of the new vivaro vans are 1.5 litre. When I look at the engine specs it is pretty similar to my 1.9 cdti. Does anyone have these 1.5's and are they OK with full loads etc?

Cheers

Also, the electric version is only 29,000 for the basic model. These are bound to come down in price but will they go down that much as the price at the moment is with a 6k grant from the government.

As above, I am not after a fancy vehicle. It is a van for work which is all I will use it for.

The Vivaro I have is a 1.6 Bi turbo and it is fine. Won't win any races but gets you wherever and will sit at motorway speeds no problem at all.

The Vivaro I have is a 1.6 Bi turbo and it is fine. Won't win any races but gets you wherever and will sit at motorway speeds no problem at all.
Perfect. Just what I needed to know.

Do these have a place where the passenger side bulkhead drops down so you can run 3 metre lengths inside by any chance

Perfect. Just what I needed to know.

Do these have a place where the passenger side bulkhead drops down so you can run 3 metre lengths inside by any chance
I'm not sure, I have the crew cab version which doesn't but I'll see what one of the lads lwb panel van is like tomorrow. We all have the old shape though, you would have to ask again about the new model. I think I got such a good deal and it was the last plate before the new shape came out and had been pre-registered.

My Trafic has a flap under the passenger seat to slide pipe through
Swb and can take 3.6 meters
You have to slightly modify it to allow the seat to useable with the flap open

Mwb master, has 10’ in back so can rack behind bulkhead but still get full sheets in easily (when tidy!).
Not too big, but I’d probably avoid if you have to park in busy town streets often.
Have 3m 4”pipe for copper tube etc internally hung from roof cross members - worth considering from a theft point of view with the cost of copper at the moment!

Thanks all. Needed up going for one of the PSA group vans and got a despatch.

Now, need help on van racking ideas. I have mine separated from the back of the side doors to the back so I can store tools in the back and back it up to my garage. What others gone for?

In need of a new second hand van. My doblo has kicked up its heels. Currently running around in a hired transit custom whilst I find something.
Prices have gone crazy.

In need of a new second hand van. My doblo has kicked up its heels. Currently running around in a hired transit custom whilst I find something.
Prices have gone crazy.
They really have. I just paid 17k for 2017 plate, one owner, full sh and 2yr manufacturer warranty. My vivaro I bought in 2009 was 3yrs old, had 30k on the clock, ex sky vehicle and cost 7k

They really have. I just paid 17k for 2017 plate, one owner, full sh and 2yr manufacturer warranty. My vivaro I bought in 2009 was 3yrs old, had 30k on the clock, ex sky vehicle and cost 7k

My doblo two and half years ago on a 56 with 80k on it and I paid 1200 for it. Wanting to spend about 5k on something but very little out there. The ones i do find end up having 150k miles on them.

VW Transporter Kombi - bought ex demo and loaded with extras - yes ouch to buy but it saved me a huge amount in tax ........... and seemingly keeps its value rather well

Got a 2yr old 10k mile peugeot partner last week.
I can get away with a tiddler of a van as I'm never far from a merchant. Spent 11k on van and nearly 10% again on security 😭 😭. Oh well, better spent now than once it's happened. Fudgers!

Sorry to hear that, it's tough to find anything and prices are very strong.

Definitely. Every spare minute I seem to spend looking.
Just found an expert, bit smaller than I want, low miles but its 11 years old and they are looking for 4200.

I gave up looking for a secondhand van and ordered a new boxer, inc vat can get l2h2 for under 20k from dealer with good rate on finance.
Just had delivery put back to October so I guess that helps explain why used prices are so high.
Keep seeing 2 year old vans with close to 20k miles up for same price so I'm going to wait for the new one.
I've always had a lwb Vivaro which is ideal for work but decided to get something I can stand in that's better for putting the bikes in at the weekend.

For racking I have 1/2 side of hinged buckets for little parts and the rest is ply racking to take euro crate type boxes, I put rope handles on the front to make them draws and on larger jobs they pull out and stack on sack barrow.
Toolboxes are festool systainers
(I like stuff that stacks!)

Definitely. Every spare minute I seem to spend looking.
Just found an expert, bit smaller than I want, low miles but its 11 years old and they are looking for 4200.
Watch the emissions Simon. If its diesel 11 years old puts it back in Euro 4 territory. They have a downer on older diesels now. Everybody and his armpit is looking to roll out city taxes.

So the next step is to get a roof rack. I have seen some around where the height off the roof makes it possible to attach a pipe rack under it so you still have the full space on the top for full sheet materials plus a ladder. Also, maybe even attach it to the sides so it is about the same width as.the wing mirrors. Any idea which racks these are as now I cannot seem to find em.

Reply to What Van do you guys and gals have? in the Plumbing Tools area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock