Search the forum,

Discuss what type of seal is this? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I am trying to create a water tight seal on this joint (in the attached photo) on the side entry fill valve.

The copper pipe seems to have a flange and a copper coloured seal of some kind.
I thought the "copper coloured seal" was a compressed olive but now I think it may be some kind of washer or o ring.

Can someone experienced say what the old seal is? it seems too thin to be an olive.

Attachments

• 1684259569716.jpeg
    1684259569716.jpeg
    332 KB · Views: 30
There seems to bit a chunk of your tap connector (flange as you call it) which may prevent it sealing correctly. Also, be careful with the plastic thread on the Torbeck filling valve.

Thanks everyone.
The dripping has completely stopped and I'm over the moon.

Yes the "seal" was indeed a fibre washer (1/2"). (amazing they expand when they get wet so only use once)
Initially I actually thought the seal was an olive from a compression joint :)

It was hard to find a float valve that is low pressure and brass but I eventually got one and it has worked great. It is part 1 so might not please plumbers but it was my only option.
Why are all the float valves in the shops plastic?

The brass shank has led to another (much smaller) problem but I think I should put that in a new post.

Last edited:
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/flomasta-brass-part-2-float-valve-1-2-/358fy

What’s misleading with that is, Screwfix state for high/mains pressure, but we know as plumbers that we can change the orifice for a low pressure type 😉
I did look at the high pressure valve in @ShaunCorbs post. B&Q have the same item (at 50% extra cost) but the B&Q online add says low pressure so I went to look at it. The packaging made no statement about the pressure so I got it out of the bag because I wanted to be certain.
It was high pressure with no low pressure jet. You can blow through the back with your lungs and tell which it is, also the jet diameter is noticeably different.

All the plastic float valves I saw have a white high pressure jet fitted and a red low pressure jet in the packaging. None of the brass valves have 2 jets. I looked pretty hard.

I got the low pressure from toolstation.
I can't post the link, you would see they do high and low pressure versions, not 1 version with 2 jets.

Last edited:
Will that fit the "Flo masta Brass Part 2 Float Valve 1/2" (3 5 8 F Y)"? (the original item you posted)

I haven't opened any valves up, if they all have the same jet inside then I wish I had known that 2 weeks ago.

What’s misleading with that is, Screwfix state for high/mains pressure, but we know as plumbers that we can change the orifice for a low pressure type 😉
I have a spare brass part 2 in the loft for the tank in the loft so I got it down and took it apart. Yes the brass valves contain the same white and red jets as the plastic valves so I could have changed the high pressure to low. I just didn't realise.
Thanks @ShaunCorbs & @ChrisB1982 for your help.

Last edited:

Reply to what type of seal is this? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock