Search the forum,

Discuss What type of joint on this Ikea waste pipe in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I am hoping to put a new tap on my sister in laws sink and tidy up some of the hot and cold pipe work while I am at it. The Ikea waste pipework is in the way and I could do with disconnecting it as otherwise I am going to have difficulty making the joints on the new pipework. I enclose a photo showing the waste pipework. Can anybody tell me what sort of joints are on the pipework, they are certainly not compression but don’t look like normal push fit. Any help would be much appreciate.
9174CDA6-7798-498F-9072-0B3B69A319EC.jpeg
9174CDA6-7798-498F-9072-0B3B69A319EC.jpeg

I’ve only got the pics at the moment as she doesn’t live near me. They don’t look like a normal push fit or are Ikea different to others?
Ikea do everything different! :) Even the threads are euro threads but there are converters!

Not sure what that grey ridged 22mm(?) is doing either. (Starts bottom right of photo).

Last edited:
Ikea do everything different! :) Even the threads are euro threads but there are converters!

Not sure what that grey ridged 22mm(?) is doing either. (Starts bottom right of photo).
The grey ridged has a rubber inside that feeds an outside tap. I’m not guilty of any of the poor stuff you can see. I think it was done by a builder rather than a plumber about 14 years ago.

Not sure about the waste but for the John Guest white plastic iso valve I'd get some pipe support either side of the valve. That prob means redo the pipe stubs either side. Just push in the collar whilst pulling out the pipe on each fitting. Use new pipe, could be copper. Plastic pipe needs inserts inside the pipe. I'm just worried if e.g, somebody shoves a bucket under the sink and tweeks the grey flexi supply. Attach wood to side of cabinet for fixing to will be easiest.

7 Common Speedfit Plumbing and Heating Questions Answered - https://www.johnguest.com/speedfit/common-plumbing-and-heating-questions-answered/

Interested what the pros think on all that.

Cheers,

Roy (amateur plumber)

Weeeeee parts.

The noise they make as they fly through the air into the skip.

IKEA kitchens are decent, there plumbing bits leave a great deal to be desired!!
Yes I know what you mean, but does anybody know what sort of joints they are? I don’t want to open a can of worms and have to redo all the waste as well as the hot and cold. My sister in law knows less than nothing about anything practical and she will not understand if I end up having to replace the waste as well.

Yes I know what you mean, but does anybody know what sort of joints they are? I don’t want to open a can of worms and have to redo all the waste as well as the hot and cold.
They are too small for compression, too bulky for solvent weld so ask yourself Whats left! I fear you are heading for trouble if you disconnect and reconnect those joints after 14yrs.
You sure you want to take this job on?

They're all some sort of slip coupling, but poorer quality than normal push fit. The sort of thing that leaks if you look at it wrong 👍

They are too small for compression, too bulky for solvent weld so ask yourself Whats left! I fear you are heading for trouble if you disconnect and reconnect those joints after 14yrs.
You sure you want to take this job on?
No I’m not!!
My sister in law is on her own and it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve started a job to help her and then think ‘ why did I start this’

Probably better to renew the waste, Ikea don't seem to fit anything and a ribbed waste pipe on a kitchen, asking for trouble. She is lucky it has not blocked up in the past. Looks like the washing machine waste has tipped over too. If you are not confident in plumbing leave it to the experts. Could really do with a sort out.

Reply to What type of joint on this Ikea waste pipe in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock