Search the forum,

Discuss What transition layer between tiles and chipboard with wet ufh. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sharp Point

Hello peeps,
I'm currently in the middle of a full house refurb and the customer is having wet ufh retro fitted between joists on a 75mm layer of kingspan and dry screeded to top of joists, then a 22mm chip board flooring on top. What would you guys recommend as a transition layer.... plywood, warmafloor insulation etc. I'm swayed to 6mm warmafloor insulation board, would this have a massive effect on heat coming through, maybe just take longer to filter through.

cheers

Why would you want to insulate on top of the floor? That would render the ufh useless.
Are you wanting to tile on top? If so it would have been better to ditch the chipboard ( another insulator). A better one would have been 25mm fermacell element flooring as it is a cement/ gypsum product, it is stable and you can tile direct.
A cheaper method is to again remove the ply and fit 12mm cement backer boards, and tile to that.
If your not tiling, you can carpet straight onto the chipboard. I just hope they have solid filled the biscuit mix, right to the underside of the board. Or it will struggle to heat the room.

Hi guys,

I'll totally agree with Chalked.
insulation is designed to stop the heat to pass through so I would never recommend to use it on top of underfloor heating.

Is there any reason why there's 22mm chipboard required? Normally people go for 18mm which is load-bearing.
If you are tiling on top they you will be ok with UFH as tiles have got hardly any thermal resistance, you will easily get approx 70W/m2.
If you use any other floor finish you need to be careful and check the thermal resistance of each layer that goes on top.
For optimum performance we advice that the maximum combined thermal resistance, for floor coverings, of 0.2m2 K/W is not exceeded which is equates to 2 TOG.

Hope that helps.

The original question is for recommendations for a transition layer, used before tiling. i'm not trying to insulate above the underfloor heating, it's just been suggested to use warmafloor to separate any thermal movement to prevent cracking/ tile lift. And I have retrofitted ufh before a a couple of times thats worked with aplomb even with underlay and thick carpet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What transition layer between tiles and chipboard with wet ufh. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock