Search the forum,

Discuss What tool is needed? Removing tap from kitchen sink in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, can anyone let me know what is needed to remove this very stubborn tap from the kitchen sink.

EB95FC99-7919-4A86-B4F9-239B6F994572.jpeg

You're going to need an adjustable basin wrench/spanner to get that chrome nut removed. Once you've dropped the chrome nut, you should be able to pull the tap away from the sink enough for the copper tails to be accessible, they can come off with a small spanner or adjustable spanner.

e2a: one of these
81935.jpg

Looking at that I would dowse it in WD40 well before.

Yeh that would be a good idea, although it looks like its smeared in sealant to me, so would need to try and scrape some of it of for the WD40 to work.

You also might need to increase the leverage on the tap wrench, you could use a piece of pipe/spark plug socket on the handle.

Hopefully the lighter picture shows how tight the space is. The hinge part of the wrench is too big for it.

I wish I could meet that person who designed this sink

0A9B2585-A4AA-45E2-9B62-AADD2E80AE5A.jpeg

That's a lot tighter than it looked from the initial pic, you're going to need to remove the copper tails so that you can get a box wrench (see pic below) onto the nut.

6pcs-Tubular-Box-Wrench-Set-Spanner-Tube-Garage-Plumbers-DIY-Tool-Socket-Tap-8-19mm-Metric.jpg_640x640.jpg

Looks like I deleted part of my message by mistake.

To get the copper tails off, if they won't unscrew by hand, clamp onto them with some molegrips and use the grips to unscrew them (after having initial cut them off the 15mm pipework or removed them from iso valve).

If there's not enough access for you to turn the box wrench, or to extend leverage on the handle, you might find its best to have someone hold it in place for you, whilst you turn the tap (depending on what sort of tap you have, post a pic of it maybe). Once you've cracked the nut, you can then unscrew it easily with the box wrench.

Thanks all, yeah we’ve been trying to hold the nut whilst turning the tap but no joy, it’s all just spinning.

A pic of the tap is attached.

2719A4EA-8F0C-4EE2-BC6F-9A3825FEFBD6.jpeg

There’s only an isolation valve fitted on the hot.

Have you got an isolation valve to fit on the cold side? I'd hold fire on doing anything else until you do, otherwise you could be stuck without any water at all if anything doesn't quite go to plan.

Have you got an angle grinder?

Have you got an isolation valve to fit on the cold side? I'd hold fire on doing anything else until you do, otherwise you could be stuck without any water at all if anything doesn't quite go to plan.

Have you got an angle grinder?
No but I know a man who does ;) I’ll get an isolation valve for the cold but in the meantime I’ve reconnected the old tap.

No but I know a man who does ;) I’ll get an isolation valve for the cold but in the meantime I’ve reconnected the old tap.

It looks from the pic that shows the wrench in place like you could shave down the sides of the wrench a bit with an angle grinder enough to get it to lock onto the nut. It might not be enough to turn, but should be enough to keep the nut in place whilst you turn the tap.

Failing that, you're looking at either trying a box wrench, or cutting your losses and getting a plumber out.

I’d personally Cap the pipes off underneath and start by cutting the tap off with a slit disc on a grinder and then slowly start removing more material until you get to the ceramic. I pig of a job, but maybe the only way.

ahh, ok uck what a place to get to. have you tried just turning the whole mixer tap anti clockwise whilst pulling it upwards at same time with someone else gripping the nut below....not being funny but experienced plumbers have very strong fingers and iron
grip...you may not be able to get the sheer force required
regards Rob Foster aka centralheatking

ahh, ok uck what a place to get to. have you tried just turning the whole mixer tap anti clockwise whilst pulling it upwards at same time with someone else gripping the nut below....not being funny but experienced plumbers have very strong fingers and iron
Another good idea

I’ve got the fella here helping too, I’ll get him to give it a better yank!

Thanks all

I had a similair problem accessing a narrow gap to undo a tap connector on a kitchen sink, tried for about 30 mins, eventually I removed the entire sink and had the tap off in minutes, fitted new tap and re-sealed it to the worktop.

Cut/snap tails off then buy the appropriate sized deep socket. Attach a couple of extension bars to get the ratchet handle in s comfortable position. This is probably the easiest and quickest way to do it, but requires investment in the tools - so you might be better off getting a plumber in who has them already.

Reply to What tool is needed? Removing tap from kitchen sink in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock