• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net (formerly UKPlumbersForums.co.uk). Please login with your usual username and password. Or register for free if you haven't already done so.

Discuss What tool is needed? Removing tap from kitchen sink in the Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Gem28

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone let me know what is needed to remove this very stubborn tap from the kitchen sink.

EB95FC99-7919-4A86-B4F9-239B6F994572.jpeg

Pickwickpick

Plumber
Reaction score
You're going to need an adjustable basin wrench/spanner to get that chrome nut removed. Once you've dropped the chrome nut, you should be able to pull the tap away from the sink enough for the copper tails to be accessible, they can come off with a small spanner or adjustable spanner.

e2a: one of these

Pickwickpick

Plumber
Reaction score
Looking at that I would dowse it in WD40 well before.
Yeh that would be a good idea, although it looks like its smeared in sealant to me, so would need to try and scrape some of it of for the WD40 to work.

You also might need to increase the leverage on the tap wrench, you could use a piece of pipe/spark plug socket on the handle.

OP
G

Gem28

Reaction score
Cr*p the space is too small to fit the end of the spanner Are there any narrower ends?

17D69AEA-814C-4DDF-9D31-56C9788B5F34.jpeg

OP
G

Gem28

Reaction score
Quite hard to get a decent picture.

We’ve covered it in wd40 and I’ve scrubbed it with wire wool etc too

EFAF2624-86B1-4FA1-88A2-C26BAA218D80.jpeg

OP
G

Gem28

Reaction score
Hopefully the lighter picture shows how tight the space is. The hinge part of the wrench is too big for it.

I wish I could meet that person who designed this sink

0A9B2585-A4AA-45E2-9B62-AADD2E80AE5A.jpeg

Pickwickpick

Plumber
Reaction score
That's a lot tighter than it looked from the initial pic, you're going to need to remove the copper tails so that you can get a box wrench (see pic below) onto the nut.

Rob Foster

Reaction score
monument basin spanner might do it, often with a coin
supa glued to one side if its too slack ...Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Pickwickpick

Plumber
Reaction score
Looks like I deleted part of my message by mistake.

To get the copper tails off, if they won't unscrew by hand, clamp onto them with some molegrips and use the grips to unscrew them (after having initial cut them off the 15mm pipework or removed them from iso valve).

If there's not enough access for you to turn the box wrench, or to extend leverage on the handle, you might find its best to have someone hold it in place for you, whilst you turn the tap (depending on what sort of tap you have, post a pic of it maybe). Once you've cracked the nut, you can then unscrew it easily with the box wrench.

OP
G

Gem28

Reaction score
Thanks all, yeah we’ve been trying to hold the nut whilst turning the tap but no joy, it’s all just spinning.

A pic of the tap is attached.

2719A4EA-8F0C-4EE2-BC6F-9A3825FEFBD6.jpeg

Forum Sponsors

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers

Plumbase - Plumbing Parts for Plumbers

Underflor Heating Systems by uHeat

Wetroom Supplies by Wetroom Store

Nicobond - Wetroom and Tiling Supplies

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers

Top Bottom