Search the forum,

Discuss What to do about new boiler? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I installed my central heating 40 years ago as a DIY project and it has worked well. I have a Potterton NeataHeat 16/22 with a Y plan control. A week ago I had a leak onto my kitchen ceiling (new ceiling a year ago) which needed me to cut a 6 foot long slot in it to replace a length of copper cold water pipe which had corroded through, looks like solder flux rot, main cause is that pipe section of cold water from the Cold water cylinder is seldom used, all other pipework is sound, my question is this:- should I replace the boiler while I am in a mess regarding decorating. One heating engineer said he would leave it as it the heating equivalent of a brick sh*t house and is almost indestructible others are more than willing to quote to replace.
I understand that a new boiler could save me £??? a year in running costs but to recoup the cost of new boiler would take 10 years+ Your opinions welcome. Many Thanks Ray:rolleyes:

I’m in the “if it ain’t bust why try fix it” camp, the savings made on an A rated boiler will take years to pay off the new install. I may be tempted to get it flushed and filled with fresh inhibitor, maybe check the pump is working as it should

I installed my central heating 40 years ago as a DIY project and it has worked well. I have a Potterton NeataHeat 16/22 with a Y plan control.

NetaHeat boilers are actually more efficient in practice than one might expect because a significant fraction of the 'lost' heat comes out through the case. It doesn't contribute to the 'efficiency' rating because it's not heating the system water, but it does keep the room where the boiler is installed warm.

I replaced my own Netaheat a few years ago. It was still working but I wanted to redecorate the kitchen and I've never liked the positive case pressure design much (for safety reasons. With the NetaHeat the late 60s single-glazed kitchen was always toasty warm. With a new replacement and no space for a radiator it was xxxxing freezing for half the year so I had to replace the windows and back door, which added about twenty years to the payback period of for the replacement!

Good point Chuck, when I updated the old floor stander in my last place I then had to add a radiator to heat the blinking kitchen.

My feeling is (and as someone who takes reducing gas use very seriously), I am sceptical about boiler changes, and I haven't had my own one replaced.

Have a look at this: Ch 21 Page 142: Sustainable Energy - without the hot air | David MacKay - https://www.withouthotair.com/c21/page_142.shtml from ' A case Study' and on to the next page (143). Page 143 shows a lovely chart in which you can see that the condensing boiler plus a switch to a combi boiler saved him around 30% gas use, but that he goes on to save a lot more in 2007 when he starts to lower the thermostat, insulate, and improve his glazing.

One thing I would say about bombproof boilers is that they are only as bombproof as parts availability. You could plan on not replacing the boiler, but be forced to if a small but essential part fails and you cannot get hold of a replacement.

If your house could be made to lose less heat to the outside, you may save a similar amount of gas spending the money on improving the house, especially if you are into DIY. If you are using very little gas, then a new boiler may not affect your bills that much.

If you are keeping the boiler, I would be inclined to run some X400 around your system for a few weeks and then gravity flush it in the hope of clearing residual flux from the system, dose with an inhibitor and leave it be? There really shouldn't be flux left in the system!

On the other hand, if you are using a lot of gas and there is nothing in the way of draughtproofing, and insulation, you can reasonably do and you are unwilling to accept lifestyle changes, a new boiler might work well for you.

Reply to What to do about new boiler? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock