Search the forum,

Discuss What system have I got? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

D

Deleted member 101873

Hi folks, I'm a householder just trying to learn at the moment, so just hoping you can educate me a little.

My house has an old gas boiler (Ideal S E-Type) and Grundfoss pump in the kitchen which supplies the hot water and ch. The hw tank is in an airing cupboard upstairs next to bathroom. I have a room thermostat on the hall wall, and the f&e tank for ch is in the loft. All very conventional-looking and probably dates back to 1970s, but still working ok(ish).

I'm trying to learn what I've got and have read up on "s-plan" and "y-plan" systems and kind of understand the idea of how the valves act to control the pumped hot water in those. However I've had a good look and can't find any valves anywhere on my system. Unless they're really well hidden, I'm quite convinced there are no valves controlling the flow. Could I be right, or are there control valves hidden somewhere?
If I'm right and there are no control valves anywhere, (i.e. I'm not s or y plan) how does the hw from the boiler "know" where to go? That is, wouldn't it just circulate around the hw tank, in preference to supplying the ch system? What's to stop it just taking the easiest route?

I do have some issues with the hw and ch systems, but I'm not looking for answers to those just yet. I'm hoping if I can understand what system I've got and how it works, I can then go through some of the excellent old threads on here and learn more as I go!

So there you go - what type system have I got and how should it work?
Cheers!
Paul

Most likely that you have a y plan with a mid-position valve somewhere .

If you put up some pictures someone will be able to tell you - impossible otherwise.

If you have some issues why not get a local engineer to take a look at them and he/she can also explain your system to you.

Hi folks, I'm a householder just trying to learn at the moment, so just hoping you can educate me a little.

My house has an old gas boiler (Ideal S E-Type) and Grundfoss pump in the kitchen which supplies the hot water and ch. The hw tank is in an airing cupboard upstairs next to bathroom. I have a room thermostat on the hall wall, and the f&e tank for ch is in the loft. All very conventional-looking and probably dates back to 1970s, but still working ok(ish).

I'm trying to learn what I've got and have read up on "s-plan" and "y-plan" systems and kind of understand the idea of how the valves act to control the pumped hot water in those. However I've had a good look and can't find any valves anywhere on my system. Unless they're really well hidden, I'm quite convinced there are no valves controlling the flow. Could I be right, or are there control valves hidden somewhere?
If I'm right and there are no control valves anywhere, (i.e. I'm not s or y plan) how does the hw from the boiler "know" where to go? That is, wouldn't it just circulate around the hw tank, in preference to supplying the ch system? What's to stop it just taking the easiest route?

I do have some issues with the hw and ch systems, but I'm not looking for answers to those just yet. I'm hoping if I can understand what system I've got and how it works, I can then go through some of the excellent old threads on here and learn more as I go!

Cheers!
Paul

Thanks folks. Following an exhaustive search of the system, I can confirm there are definitely no valves anywhere, so I'm convinced it is as Aquarius and Moonlight suggest - pumped ch and gravity hw.
I'm currently cleaning and flushing everything after which I will rebalance the rads. I'm hopeful this will resolve the small issues with the ch.

Thanks also to Ben-gee. I'd be reluctant to engage an engineer at this stage as I like to learn and understand for myself as best I can - if it gets beyond me then will be the time for calling in the pro, but not there yet. There's also the financial savings, but the main thing for me is the sense of satisfaction when I come to understand something and can from then on manage it myself.
Thanks folks, I appreciate your time and comments.
Cheers!
Paul

Cheers!
Paul
Does the HW cylinder have a thermostat? If not, it's likely you have pumped CH, gravity HW, as others have said.

Pumped heating, gravity hot.

As above no cylinder stat and the programmer will only run the heating and hot water at once or water only. No choice for heating only.

As above no cylinder stat and the programmer will only run the heating and hot water at once or water only. No choice for heating only.
Interesting. I have an Ideal SE 50, installed 1999, and according to the manual it's for fully-pumped systems only.

Does the HW cylinder have a thermostat? If not, it's likely you have pumped CH, gravity HW, as others have said.
Thanks - you're quite right; there's no thermostat on the hw cylinder so seems I've got pumped ch/ gravity hw.
Thanks.
Paul
[automerge]1593044271[/automerge]

Thanks, yes, that describes what I've got. Cheers!
Paul

Hi OP,

You state the 'F&E tank for CH is in the loft' and the hot water tank is in an airing cupboard.

Do you mean that the cupboard contains a cylinder AND a cistern, or is there only one cistern in the house?

If only one cistern then possibilities are: 1. Your hot water cylinder is the mains-pressure unvented type. 2. The tank (cistern?) in the loft is for the hot water cylinder refill and expansion - does this cistern refill if you draw off hot water through a tap? and the CH is a sealed system (unlikely if it's a semi-gravity system). 3. You have a self-filling, self-venting ("Primatic") hot water cylinder.

What issues are you having with it? You say it works okay(ish)...

Hi OP,

You state the 'F&E tank for CH is in the loft' and the hot water tank is in an airing cupboard.

Do you mean that the cupboard contains a cylinder AND a cistern, or is there only one cistern in the house?

If only one cistern then possibilities are: 1. Your hot water cylinder is the mains-pressure unvented type. 2. The tank (cistern?) in the loft is for the hot water cylinder refill and expansion - does this cistern refill if you draw off hot water through a tap? and the CH is a sealed system (unlikely if it's a semi-gravity system). 3. You have a self-filling, self-venting ("Primatic") hot water cylinder.

What issues are you having with it? You say it works okay(ish)***
Do you realise he posted this 7 months ago?
Prob got his answer now. 🙂

Cheers!
Paul
Hi thewoodgnome

You probably have a heat pump hot water system try to see any models brand and refer to the nearest dealer

Reply to What system have I got? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock