Search the forum,

Discuss What size boiler needed in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there

Could someone please advise what size condensing boiler I would need to run the following all at once.

225m2 of underfloor heating
( calculates on length x width of rooms)

8 Rads at 1470 watts each
2 Rads at 1.176 watts each
4 Towel Rails at 200 each watts

DHW at 3000 watts

21m trench heating at 3500 watts

Thank you

What’s the Heatloss of the ufh rooms ?

Do you mean 3080 & 3860 watts?.
I’m not sure to be honest it just shows this on my sheet. I’m picking it will be 3080 & 3860. that makes more sense. :)

I have also calculated both manifold heat output as per your advise last week and I get

41.34 LPM x 60 x Dt 12 divide 860 = 34 kw. So I’m guessing the boiler needs to be bigger than 35kw?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 16
I get 21kw providing your lpm is correct

Also ufh is a dt 7 not 12

I’m not sure to be honest it just shows this on my sheet. I’m picking it will be 3080 & 3860. that makes more sense. :)

I have also calculated both manifold heat output as per your advise last week and I get

41.34 LPM x 60 x Dt 12 divide 860 = 34 kw. So I’m guessing the boiler needs to be bigger than 35kw?
From "Central Heating Pump" thread, posts 58&59 show measured flow rate of 29.5LPM (5x3lpm+3x4lpm+1x2.5lpm) with 12C dT (52C-40C) which gives a (troubled) UFH output of 24.7kw, the manifold temperature of 52C seems very high for a TMV setting of 42/45C but maybe these readings were taken before reducing the boiler circ pump head.

Can you show where you got the 308 & 386 watts from or a full view of the heat loss page above. Probably best to leave the boiler at 26kw until you sort out the rad zoning and change the other manifold, you can then take another set of readings.

From "Central Heating Pump" thread, posts 58&59 show measured flow rate of 29.5LPM (5x3lpm+3x4lpm+1x2.5lpm) with 12C dT (52C-40C) which gives a (troubled) UFH output of 24.7kw, the manifold temperature of 52C seems very high for a TMV setting of 42/45C but maybe these readings were taken before reducing the boiler circ pump head.

Can you show where you got the 308 & 386 watts from or a full view of the heat loss page above. Probably best to leave the boiler at 26kw until you sort out the rad zoning and change the other manifold, you can then take another set of readings.
Those LPM on this thread is what is calculated on our spec sheet at time of building, I was just about to comment that that is not what our manifolds are doing, they are currently doing as per thread 58/59.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I wouldn't be too familiar with heat loss calcs but maybe the UFH 308 & 386 watts heat loss are per degC difference between ambient temp and required room temp so if you assume say 30C design dt then manifold 1 heat loss might be 9.2kw and manifold 2 11.6kw ??, dT may normally only be ~ 15C so only 4.6kw & 5.8kw required?.

I wouldn't be too familiar with heat loss calcs but maybe the UFH 308 & 386 watts heat loss are per degC difference between ambient temp and required room temp so if you assume say 30C design dt then manifold 1 heat loss might be 9.2kw and manifold 2 11.6kw ??, dT may normally only be ~ 15C so only 4.6kw & 5.8kw required?.
Yes it think you may be correct. I’m just trying to get my head around the whole system, at build we had a 24kw gas boiler to run Rads and trench heating and a 16kw heat pump to run both ufh manifolds later another 9kw heat pump was install, so troubled manifold was run of 16kw heat pump and manifold 2 off 9kw heat, all this was replaced with a 35kw boiler now downsized to 26kw. I don’t understand how you can removed 49kw output equipment and replace with 35kw,

Attached below is the Rads and trench heating we have installed, is the output of the Rads the heat required from boiler? Eg, total output of Rads is 15,242 watts so we require 15kw to heat these?

Hope this all makes sense John and sorry for all the questions.

Attachments

• 3BDF9622-3820-437A-BDC7-D5900B973EDC.png
    3BDF9622-3820-437A-BDC7-D5900B973EDC.png
    398.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 2C37B9A9-7D1D-4006-8149-D39713FB6A49.png
    2C37B9A9-7D1D-4006-8149-D39713FB6A49.png
    349.7 KB · Views: 12
Yes, if you have a rad output of 15kw then the boiler output must be 15kw, of course the room(s) demand may only be 25% of this once up to temperature. I have a 26kw 16 year old SE Firebird boiler jetted to 20kw but it only ever runs continuously for ~ 30 minutes in the morning to get the whole system up to temp, I run my heating 15/16 hrs/day and once house up to temperature then the boiler on cycle time is often only 30% say 6kw output.

Also, your UFH output seems very high, I often see numbers like outputs of 65/85W/M2, so your 225M2 should emit ~ 19kw, thats the total of the two manifolds if the UFH area is in fact 225M2 so how does one account for this?, you are getting 24.7kw out of one manifold.

Yes, if you have a rad output of 15kw then the boiler output must be 15kw, of course the room(s) demand may only be 25% of this once up to temperature. I have a 26kw 16 year old SE Firebird boiler jetted to 20kw but it only ever runs continuously for ~ 30 minutes in the morning to get the whole system up to temp, I run my heating 15/16 hrs/day and once house up to temperature then the boiler on cycle time is often only 30% say 6kw output.

Also, your UFH output seems very high, I often see numbers like outputs of 65/85W/M2, so your 225M2 should emit ~ 19kw, thats the total of the two manifolds if the UFH area is in fact 225M2 so how does one account for this?, you are getting 24.7kw out of one manifold.
I have attached two images one that shows the underfloor heating circuits and the second one shows the room in m2. Our boiler for the last 10 days has used 46 Litres of fuel a day, running both ufh manifolds, controlled by thermostats, the Rads have only run for 5 hours in the last 10 days

I hope you can read the numbers on the attached documents

D938A3C1-45C5-4040-B9F5-1864CE91FC12.png
6A16030A-B5CB-4F46-A596-F2B67DB7A3D6.jpeg

You are using ~ 470kwh/day with a boiler output of ~ 400kwh/day at 85% efficiency.
Are you running the UFH 24/7 and what is the "average" ambient temp over the past 10 days.

You are using ~ 470kwh/day with a boiler output of ~ 400kwh/day at 85% efficiency.
Are you running the UFH 24/7 and what is the "average" ambient temp over the past 10 days
The average temp outside has been approx 11 degrees, inside 22.

I have attached two graphs that shows when the heating has been firing in the last 24 hours it has time for 7 hours 54 mins.

20C6029B-A4AA-4F30-AAEE-82C06C2BAC83.png
524FBEF5-E13B-40D7-8000-E1F1A98FBE33.png

Ok thanks, so is the heating/boiler enabled for 24 hours each day? if it is then a boiler on (firing) time of 7.9hrs in a 24hr period is a 33% firing cycle or 7.7kw or 185kwh/day=18 litres/day, a long way from 46 Litres/day??.

Ok thanks, so is the heating/boiler enabled for 24 hours each day? if it is then a boiler on (firing) time of 7.9hrs in a 24hr period is a 33% firing cycle or 7.7kw or 185kwh/day=18 litres/day, a long way from 46 Litres/day??.
Sorry my apologies, we have a 460 litre tank. It has used half of this in 10 days ( 230 litres) yes boiler is enabled 24 hours each day.

18 LPD is probably more accurate than the tank estimated 23 LPD but one way or the other a average boiler input if even 10kw or 8.5kw output to keep your house warm is pretty good IMO, so what's the need to increase it to 34kw or whatever?

18 LPD is probably more accurate than the tank estimated 23 LPD but one way or the other a average boiler input if even 10kw or 8.5kw output to keep your house warm is pretty good IMO, so what's the need to increase it to 34kw or whatever?
When the boiler was orginally installed it was set to 35kw then downsized to 26 kw because the condensate trapped kept melting 6 times.

When DHW, 3kwh UFH manifolds, 22 kw? radiators 15 kw and tench heating 3.5kwh. The boiler struggles at 26kw

Common issue with oil condy traps most have been converted from plastic to stainless from the manufacturer so might be worth a call

Common issue with oil condy traps most have been converted from plastic to stainless from the manufacturer so might be worth a call
We had a stainless one installed from the start and pipe still melted. I’m lost as to why this boiler is not performing as it should.

When they down sized the boiler to 26 kw they replaced the burner to a Riello RDB 2.2 26kw - 41Jx with a 26 kw rated nozzle.

the orginal burner was a Riello RDB 2.2R 33kw - 54 kw burner rated to 35 kw with the nozzle. I thought this burner was big considering we were in the lowest possible output of it..

The outlet pipe melted what temp is it running at should be set at 60 c

If UFH is the main form of heating this can lead to very low boiler return temperatures and high condensing rates which just may lead to excess sooting if combustion settings are not spot on as per FGA. This "melting" problem was very well known here but seemed unique to the downward firing Firebird, it also be interesting to see any flue gas temperatures and also I think the temperature can be measured after the primary heat exchanger.

If UFH is the main form of heating this can lead to very low boiler return temperatures and high condensing rates which just may lead to excess sooting if combustion settings are not spot on as per FGA. This "melting" problem was very well known here but seemed unique to the downward firing Firebird, it also be interesting to see any flue gas temperatures and also I think the temperature can be measured after the primary heat exchanger.
Yes John the UFH is the main hesting, during the day, in the evening the tench and Rads run if really cold. How can I measure the flue gas temperatures? Do you have any photos of where these temperatures can be taken please? Thanks John you are very helpful and I appreciate the time you have given to answer all my questions.

So to clarify, if boiler is changed back to 35kw it has enough capacity to heat UFH, Rads, trench & DHW if all calling for heat as these have an output of 44kw or is a 35 kw boiler to small?

You will probably have to get someone with FGA, I don't know where the sampling points are on the condensing firebird, the condensate trap float must surely be melting as well (or maybe there is no float)so this is why important to check these temperatures. I know that the flue gas temperature on my SE Firebird is ~ 230C so would expect similar if a measurement can be taken between the primary and secondary Hxs on yours, Is that baffle damage due to corrosion.

1657838870008.png

Re boiler output, seeing that you can run continuously at outputs as low as 6 to 10kw I think 35kw should be more than enough and even 26kw should do once the house is up to temperature?, your total heat loss shows 929.2 watts so only 18.5kw (blr output of 21.8kw) required at a dT of 20C?.

You will probably have to get someone with FGA, I don't know where the sampling points are on the condensing firebird, the condensate trap float must surely be melting as well (or maybe there is no float)so this is why important to check these temperatures. I know that the flue gas temperature on my SE Firebird is ~ 230C so would expect similar if a measurement can be taken between the primary and secondary Hxs on yours, Is that baffle damage due to corrosion.

View attachment 76600
Baffle damage is due to heat in boiler apparently, The boiler was installed in September 2019 and baffles damaged September 2021.

If that baffle was near the bottom then unlikely heat damaged, did Firebird determine this?, and wonder why no one suggested taking any temperatures.

If that baffle was near the bottom then unlikely heat damaged, did Firebird determine this?, and wonder why no one suggested taking any temperatures.
Yes as per your above pic these baffles were at the bottom of the boiler, our firebird agent who replaced them said it was heat that caused the damage. Interesting considering boiler was only 2 years old and was turned off for the summer, so boiler only operated approx 12 months of the 2 year period. If not heat what would cause the baffles to do that?

COLD would corrode them due to the gas temperature being too low leaving the primary HX, the concern I think is that the primary Hx is mild steel and could corrode/leak. I have put those photos up in our local Boards.ie website with a few general questions, there are some very experienced Firebird people there that will soon confirm the above, or not.

COLD would corrode them due to the gas temperature being too low leaving the primary HX, the concern I think is that the primary Hx is mild steel and could corrode/leak. I have put those photos up in our local Boards.ie website with a few general questions, there are some very experienced Firebird people there that will soon confirm the above, or not.
Hi John thank you very much, it would be nice to know what happened.
Tonight I put a thermostat under the silver insulation ( see attached photo white arrow) and the temperature was 10 degrees higher than the flow water. Yellow arrow is pocket where firebird thermostat sits 🤷🏼‍♀️

68D7C39A-B86C-4FB3-8AFA-F519C3E4CD9A.jpeg
F71FA3D2-64A8-4C14-9990-5EA76FC5C20A.jpeg

Is the white arrow the flow temperature?
The condensate trap does not have a float and is installed correctly a Firebird Tech guy from the home of Firebird here in Co Cork told me, ensure its filled with water and/or check hose regularly to ensure water dripping constantly. Also ensure return temp doesn't fall below 45C, you might measure this (except the white arrow is the return?)

The condensate trap does not have a float and is installed correctly a Firebird Tech guy from the home of Firebird here in Co Cork told me, ensure its filled with water and/or check hose regularly to ensure water dripping constantly. Also ensure return temp doesn't fall below 45C, you might measure this (except the white arrow is the return?)
Yes the white arrow is on the flow side. Both arrows are on the flow side. Condensate trap does have water in it. I’m not sure how to get the return temp above 45 as the return flow is the same temp as manifold around 35.

Maybe the boiler needs to be turned up as it is set to 60 degrees, now I’m really confused :))

Does the manifolds need a bypass on it to send the flow water back to the boiler that is not being mixed with the return, or should there be a bypass between flow and return after the pump.

Reply to What size boiler needed in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock