Search the forum,

Discuss What plumbing qualifications will I need when I entering the USA for work? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

L

Liam saxton

Hi, I’m a uk resident with plenty of plumbing and heating qualifications. However I was wondering what kind of qualifications are required for installing and servicing your warm air heaters? Thankyou in advance!

The first requirement is US citizenship or a visa that allows work.

A list of visas is available on britishexpats.com under the heading:
Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA​

In summary, qualifications for installing and servicing warm air heaters won't get a visa to work in the USA.

The chances of an ordinary U.K Trades / Craftsperson getting employment in the U.S are as close to ZERO as you could possibly get.

The over-riding rule is, "Can a U.S employer find a U.S Citizen for the job"
In the case of trades or ordinary jobs the answer is yes they can.

There are exceptions if the skills required for the job are very specific and in short supply as in the case of my Son who is living and working there.
He only got a Visa as he was a Manager / Executive in the U.K for a company who also have offices in the U.S so in effect he was transfering.

But it still wasn't easy, his employer had to provide hard evidence that they had tried to find a U.S Citizen to do the job, which they did have as they had been looking for 2 years.
Visas are tied to the employer, loose your job and you have to leave the Country and re apply for a new Visa for a different job.

Visa's have a maximium limited time, 5 to 7 years I believe and unless you apply for a Green Card (Permanent Resident Card) you have to get out the Country when the Visa expires.
You then need to have been a Green Card holder for a certain time before you can apply for Citizenship.

My Son has had a Green Card application in for well over 2 years, being paid for by his employer at a cost including legal fees of around $20000.

It is very difficult to emigrate to the US from the UK I believe. Perhaps President Biden will make some changes.

It is very difficult to emigrate to the US from the UK I believe. Perhaps President Biden will make some changes.
Looks like Trump if he gets in May make it even more difficult. Darn it. I'd love to move there!

Did you ever get any sucess Liam?

As the thread has been revivied.
My Son / Daughter in Law and 3 Grandsons did eventually get Green Cards (they're not Green and they aren't a card!! )
He's changed job twice since he got it, something he couldn't have done whilst on a Visa.

Reply to What plumbing qualifications will I need when I entering the USA for work? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock