Search the forum,

Discuss What plumbing qualifications will I need when I entering the USA for work? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

L

Liam saxton

Hi, I’m a uk resident with plenty of plumbing and heating qualifications. However I was wondering what kind of qualifications are required for installing and servicing your warm air heaters? Thankyou in advance!

The first requirement is US citizenship or a visa that allows work.

A list of visas is available on britishexpats.com under the heading:
Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA​

In summary, qualifications for installing and servicing warm air heaters won't get a visa to work in the USA.

The chances of an ordinary U.K Trades / Craftsperson getting employment in the U.S are as close to ZERO as you could possibly get.

The over-riding rule is, "Can a U.S employer find a U.S Citizen for the job"
In the case of trades or ordinary jobs the answer is yes they can.

There are exceptions if the skills required for the job are very specific and in short supply as in the case of my Son who is living and working there.
He only got a Visa as he was a Manager / Executive in the U.K for a company who also have offices in the U.S so in effect he was transfering.

But it still wasn't easy, his employer had to provide hard evidence that they had tried to find a U.S Citizen to do the job, which they did have as they had been looking for 2 years.
Visas are tied to the employer, loose your job and you have to leave the Country and re apply for a new Visa for a different job.

Visa's have a maximium limited time, 5 to 7 years I believe and unless you apply for a Green Card (Permanent Resident Card) you have to get out the Country when the Visa expires.
You then need to have been a Green Card holder for a certain time before you can apply for Citizenship.

My Son has had a Green Card application in for well over 2 years, being paid for by his employer at a cost including legal fees of around $20000.

It is very difficult to emigrate to the US from the UK I believe. Perhaps President Biden will make some changes.

It is very difficult to emigrate to the US from the UK I believe. Perhaps President Biden will make some changes.
Looks like Trump if he gets in May make it even more difficult. Darn it. I'd love to move there!

Did you ever get any sucess Liam?

As the thread has been revivied.
My Son / Daughter in Law and 3 Grandsons did eventually get Green Cards (they're not Green and they aren't a card!! )
He's changed job twice since he got it, something he couldn't have done whilst on a Visa.

Reply to What plumbing qualifications will I need when I entering the USA for work? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
Hello I’m not going to explain this very well but I will try my best. I’m planning on installing a kitchen sick by myself with no plumbing experience. I will be going from a double sink to a single basin. The part im having trouble figuring out is how to put the pipes back together with the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Looking for a gas safe engineer to complete a boiler and cylinder install in Ringwood BH24. There was a delay of approx 8 months from the install to radiators being fitted and therefore able to comission the system. Our plumber is now employed elsewhere and unfortunately unable to complete this...
Replies
Views
Hi, Hoping some of you folks can steer me in the right direction. I have been self employed for the last 15years supplying services to the industrial gas market. That ranges from installing cryogenic storage tanks, pumps and pipework to high pressure Hydrogen systems and bulk LNG. My work has...
Replies
Views
Hello Plumbers/Gas Engineers, Excuse if this question has been raised but i am in a slight dilemma and for the past 2 weeks the internet has not really solved this, so I feel i need some real advice from real tradesmen. I am 21 and stuck behind a desk not progressing into a career, I have...
Replies
Views
A
Hello, i am new here and i am looking into becoming a plumber, however, around 10 years ago, my arm went through a window and caused severe damage to my nerves and my muscles, im somewhat recovered now, however my arm is only around 70/80% functional. I can do things like screwing things but...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock