Search the forum,

Discuss What may be causing this strange leak in a bathroom sink drain? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Have a strange leak coming from a newly installed bathroom sink drain
and am seeking advice from experienced plumbers who may help to identify the cause.

I run the water in the sink for several minutes and there are no leals detected from the drain and its J trap connections.
When I check back 5 minutes later there are no signs of leaks.
When I check back 15 minutes later I see dampness in the grout lines below the pedestal sink.

I have checked the supply connections there are no leaks

When I check the tailpipe and J pipe connections from the drain 5 minutes after turning off the faucets, there is no evidence of water or dampness

When I check again after 15 minutes I can feel wetness

This is frustrating. Can anyone who has had a similar experience with a sink leak please chime in and help me with this frustrating problem
Thanks for your help!

Thanks for your reply...the water is coming from the underside of the basin drain pipe not the faucet hoses or supply valves
The mystery is there is no signs of a leak while the faucet is turned on for 5 minutes and going down the drain.
The leaking down the drain pipe doesn't start till after the faucets have been shut. The leaking looks like the bass pipe is sweating and ends up on the tiles below the sink. I cant understand this as a bad pipe connection should show the leakage while a large volume of water is flowing down the drain pipe through the J trap and into the wall
The water on the floor is coming from the drain pipe area below the basin nut

Attachments

• IMG_1373.jpg
    IMG_1373.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 11
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 12
There could be a slight misalignment or debris where the plug hole part of the waste meets the underside of the waste. Check all around the threaded part of the waste (not the trap) first. If this is dry, then I’d be looking towards the trap. Is the water slow to go down at all?

Reply to What may be causing this strange leak in a bathroom sink drain? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock