Search the forum,

Discuss What "key" for this main stopcock? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

After fixing a mixer tap in the kitchen and struggling with stockcock under the sink, it occured to me that I did not know where the main external stop valve for my property was.

After having a look around today, I have found it just over the boundary in next doors garden and when I lifted the cover, the round 8" plastic pipe/housing was 3/4 full of soil!

20 minutes of digging later I unearthed the installation in the attached pic. It seems it was renewed about 5 years ago just before we moved in.

I assume the blue disk/seat is for a water meter? And the round bodied valve with the raised bar on it is the on/off tap?

If so, does anybody know the name of the tool for turning it? It may be that it's designed to be turned by hand, but the hole is that deep, I can only reach it by lying on the ground which is less than ideal.
Thanks in advance,
Peter
IMG_0955~2.JPG

Should be able to move that with your fingers matey.
Yes, but the chamber is so deep, it means lying down on the lawn to reach it, which I am trying to avoid in future...
[automerge]1578249384[/automerge]
Shaun , Robert, thanks for those recommendations...providing they are compatible with the fitting, they are exactly the sort of thing I am after....

Regards,

Peter

Last edited:

Reply to What "key" for this main stopcock? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock