Search the forum,

Discuss What is this valve on cold feed in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone, can you tell me what this valve is on the mains cold water feed and is it necessary to have thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20220928_124843_105.jpg
    IMG_20220928_124843_105.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 19
Non return valve what’s the appliance?

To protect against back flow as it’s a drinking fountain

It’s a verifiable double check

Thank you for the replies and useful information it is much appreciated.
Next question is, where should the double check valve be fitted, on the cold-water feed pipe before or after the stopcock under the sink which would be 15mm in size or on the incoming mains pipe which has a T bar on it and is 22mm in size? Thank you

In flats, they sometimes put a check valve on the incoming supply pipe to each flat to stop upstairs water running back down to lower floors if the mains supply fails or is shut off.

But this kind of valve could be fitted for many reasons. Most commonly to stop backflow from a specific tap or appliance such as a washing machine. So the correct place to put it depends on why it was put there in the first place.

It is very rare for a check valve to be a problem even if it proved that it were fitted somewhere it is no longer needed.

Reply to What is this valve on cold feed in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, I turned my cold water feed off in the airing cupboard which supplies only cold water to my bathroom but it also turned the water to my toilet off is that a correct set up? Because it didn't used to before the stop valve in airing cupboard only turned off the cold water supply to...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Could someone please explain if this set up is normal and what changed: Stopcock under kitchen sink turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Stopcock in kitchen wall panel turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Red gate valve in airing cupboard next to bathroom turns off...
Replies
Views
Forgive a very basic question, but what is this device? It does not appear to be a normal isolating valve but there are two of them in the feeds to the kitchen tap,
Replies
Views
For reasons that I won't go into. Is it possible to control the water flow to a cold water header tank without having a ballcock in the header tank? ie to place some sort of control elsewhere in the feed pipe before the water gets to the header tank - turning off the mains water supply would...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a few mixer taps to install in bathrooms and kitchen. The kitchen tap also has a wondering spray arm capability. On researching something else, i stumbled across people saying that a check valve should be placed on the cold mains feed. How can I tell if the mixer taps/spray arm mix...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock