Search the forum,

Discuss What is this pipe? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

We have moved into a Victorian semi and trying to figure out the plumbing. There is an outhouse not connected to the house and there is a small pipe - any ideas what this is and if it connects to neighbours at all?

Also, on the back of the house the waste water pipe which is on the outside of the house is connected to the neighbours waste water - is this normal? Can this be changed?

Thanks do much!

We have moved into a Victorian semi and trying to figure out the plumbing. There is an outhouse not connected to the house and there is a small pipe - any ideas what this is and if it connects to neighbours at all?

Also, on the back of the house the waste water pipe which is on the outside of the house is connected to the neighbours waste water - is this normal? Can this be changed?

Thanks do much!
You'll need to provide some photos / sketches. I don't think it's possible to answer your questions based on the information in your original post.

The issue with waste water is probably one you need to raise with whoever conveyanced the house. I suggest you don't bring the issue to your neighbour's attention until you understand the position. And maybe not even then...

Thanks do much!

6094F25E-F745-4582-8D87-815399F52217.png

Regarding the back of the main building (as I can't see the small pipe on the outhouse): you share a soil and vent pipe with a neighbour - looks like their pipe goes into yours? I'm not sure why this is a problem. Even if you had separate SVPs, it's almost certain you'd share a sewer.

Generally houses are sold together with any rights that may have been granted or acquired over time (easements). Such as access rights, rights of support, rights to light, right to have your water main under the neighbour's garden perhaps. My house has a flat roof that leans on a neighbour's extension by ancient agreement and my neighbour cannot take that wall down now as I have a right to use it for support of my flat roof. If it's been like that for ages, whoever is providing, as it were, a service to the other half, is obliged to continue to do so.

What's the problem?

Regarding the back of the main building (as I can't see the small pipe on the outhouse): you share a soil and vent pipe with a neighbour - looks like their pipe goes into yours? I'm not sure why this is a problem. Even if you had separate SVPs, it's almost certain you'd share a sewer.

Generally houses are sold together with any rights that may have been granted or acquired over time (easements). Such as access rights, rights of support, rights to light, right to have your water main under the neighbour's garden perhaps. My house has a flat roof that leans on a neighbour's extension by ancient agreement and my neighbour cannot take that wall down now as I have a right to use it for support of my flat roof. If it's been like that for ages, whoever is providing, as it were, a service to the other half, is obliged to continue to do so.other wall

What's the problem?
We want to move the toilet to the other wall - so would need a new waste pipe and thinking through what the options would be for the cast iron pipe if we do that. It seems to make sense to rid of the old pipe and the neighbour get their own and we have our own on the other wall.....

1. If you start tinkering with old cast iron pipe, you will probably have to replace the lot with plastic. Neighbour might object to paying for something he / she doesn't need.
2. The pipe will almost certainly go straight down into manhole or similar. If you move the pipe you would probably have to move the manhole, which looks as if it may be under the floor of your outhouse.
3. Not sure what other wall you would want to put the soil pipe onto. Don't forget it should have a vent at the top, and must have a connection to the sewer system at the bottom. It can't have any bends in the wet bit unless there is good rodding access to clear blockages. Bends are frowned on anyway because they can cause blockages.
4. There must be at least on WC in the property which connects directly to the sewer. You are not allowed to have all WCs (or the only one) emptied via a macerator pump.

You wouldn’t move the existing stack. It would stay in place and you’d cap off your unused connection.

Then you’d have to install a new stack/vent/sewer connection for the new toilet location. Loads of headache/cost.

However, you may be able to run a pipe from the new toilet location and connect to the existing stack.

I’ve done loads of new plastic to 100 year old cast without issue. Just use the correct fittings for the job (time saver couplings).

Reply to What is this pipe? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock