Search the forum,

Discuss What is this noise? Sometimes when shower, bath or toilet is running in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

GC2

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows what the cause of this noise might be? Sometimes it is a rumble but today it was this amazingly annoying squeak!

Attachments

• VID-20220421-WA0002.mp4
    3.2 MB
I didn't install the shower; what would be the easiest way to check this?
To physically check what is there, you would need access to the shower valve and pipes, which often means taking surrounding tiles off the wall! (Unless there is access from behind). I guess that may not be an attractive proposition.
You could try removing the cover/escutcheon plate to see how much of the shower valve and pipes you could get at.

If you could find out the make and model of the shower valve, and find the technical information/ installation instructions, you could see if check valves are part of the shower unit. Even if they are, they may not be easily accessible.

In my experience check valves do make noise when the water is throttled, and the noise tends to diminish with more flow.
Would I be right in thinking your noise quietens or stops with the tap full on - is it still excessively noisy when taking a shower?

I don't have any suggestions as to how to stop it without getting at the whole shower valve assembly, no doubt others on the forum will.

To physically check what is there, you would need access to the shower valve and pipes, which often means taking surrounding tiles off the wall! (Unless there is access from behind). I guess that may not be an attractive proposition.
You could try removing the cover/escutcheon plate to see how much of the shower valve and pipes you could get at.

If you could find out the make and model of the shower valve, and find the technical information/ installation instructions, you could see if check valves are part of the shower unit. Even if they are, they may not be easily accessible.

In my experience check valves do make noise when the water is throttled, and the noise tends to diminish with more flow.
Would I be right in thinking your noise quietens or stops with the tap full on - is it still excessively noisy when taking a shower?

I don't have any suggestions as to how to stop it without getting at the whole shower valve assembly, no doubt others on the forum will.
Brilliant, thanks for your help! It's at a friend's house so I will do this and get back to you

Brilliant, thanks for your help! It's at a friend's house so I will do this and get back to you
I guess I may have been concentrating on the video! Having re-read your original post, in particular the title(!), you say it happens when you run the bath or toilet. If that is the case, the noisy check valve must be in the pipe before all those. Unless there's a check valve in each one, which is less likely. So I may have placed too much emphasis on the shower!
I think it's worth trying to locate the exact source of the noise when it's being generated by the bath or toilet. It may be there's a check valve in the vicinity of the shower, which is in a common pipe serving all three - shower, bath, toilet.

I guess I may have been concentrating on the video! Having re-read your original post, in particular the title(!), you say it happens when you run the bath or toilet. If that is the case, the noisy check valve must be in the pipe before all those. Unless there's a check valve in each one, which is less likely. So I may have placed too much emphasis on the shower!
I think it's worth trying to locate the exact source of the noise when it's being generated by the bath or toilet. It may be there's a check valve in the vicinity of the shower, which is in a common pipe serving all three - shower, bath, toilet.
Good point, thanks again. I believe there is a very common rumbling sound that happens with all three - bath, shower & toilet. I have witnessed this sound whenever the toilet cistern is refilling. It is difficult noise to place but its certainly near the shower. This high pitched squeal is a new development that has only been heard while using the shower. And I'm guessing not the most relaxing shower

Reply to What is this noise? Sometimes when shower, bath or toilet is running in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Does anyone know where I can get one of these? Toilet is leaking into the bowl. This one pushes in with a half turn but I can't find one anywhere.
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock