• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international free plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today! - Checkout the Plumbing Advice forum and then our Plumbing Videos area which still needs populating.

Discuss What is this lump of brass attached to the boiler pipe is please ? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

fourtytwo

Hi everybody, I am new here! I am moving house but not yet arrived and trying to anticipate any problems.
I took a picture of the gas boiler installation in the garage, it has a large brass object hanging off either the flow or return and I have not encountered one before, I hope someone here may recognize it and let me know what it is.

The system is gravity with a 3 way valve controlled gravity hot water cylinder.

You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

Attachments

fourtytwo

Fantastic, thank you so much for your reply. I have seen quite a bit of rust on several radiators and assumed they will probably need replacement and did not want to get caught out if I had to drain & refill the system by some strange gadget. When these seperators are fitted do you still use corrosion inhibitors ?

Ben-gee

Esteemed
Plumber
Corrosion inhibitor essential if it’s open vented, some might argue not necessary in a sealed system……💣

fourtytwo

Continuing this thread what should the flow rate be when the valve is fully open ?

All I get is a dribble yet it is on the ground floor with a header tank in the loft, open any radiator vent and it squirts, that's what I thought the Spirotech would do, could the filter or whatever it is be blocked ?

Attachments

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Solutions
Is it a sealed system or open vent eg tank in the loft ?

fourtytwo

Is it a sealed system or open vent eg tank in the loft ?
High Shaun, its vented with tank in the loft. The system was installed 2009 and probably never serviced since! I have replaced several rads, fitted TRV's & a plumber re-jointed some bad joints, just refilled complete with inhibitor and all the air out of the system. I should have checked the Spirotrap before i drained it but I didn't.

Basher

If the Spirotrap hasn't been emptied for a very long time, the outlet may be blocked with accumulated gunk. I had this.
Put a bucket under (I don't think the margarine tub will take it), open the valve and poke a small screwdriver up the outlet, wiggle it about and with any luck you will get a Sunami.
Be ready with the cap to close it!

fourtytwo

If the Spirotrap hasn't been emptied for a very long time, the outlet may be blocked with accumulated gunk. I had this.
Put a bucket under (I don't think the margarine tub will take it), open the valve and poke a small screwdriver up the outlet, wiggle it about and with any luck you will get a Sunami.
Be ready with the cap to close it!
Hahaha thank you Basher that gives me inspiration and a little trepedation I will report back hopefully..........

fourtytwo

OMG that was so much fun!! Basically its a 3 handed job, one for the bucket, one for the screwdriver and one for the all important valve that you cannot shut till you have pulled out the screwdriver lols.

Thank you so much, it works like a dream now, about 10 gallons through before clear, shame about SWMBO's nice white bucket ohhh dear!

Reply to What is this lump of brass attached to the boiler pipe is please ? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net