Search the forum,

Discuss What is this lead plumbed in? box (fireplace) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

It's a very heavy looking lead plumbed in(?) box behind the fireplace. There used to be a 70/80's gas fire in front of it.

I don't want to start removing it if it's plumbed into the mains. However running a tap doesn't make a noise of water flowing through it.

Any ideas gratefully received.

IMG_20190425_115903461.jpg

It might well be dead and dis connected BUT may still contain water...be carefull they
can get a bit frisky if you where to put a stove or open fire in without removing..cash it in at the local scrap man ...I would
centralheatking

It looks like a solid fuel back boiler. Although I have never seen that pattern.
What is your current heat and HW set up. A pic of the airing cupboard would help to confirm that it is dead

When I said "dead", I meant not connected. But, as per Rob, being dead does not guarantee empty. If I remove an old boiler of that type, I establish that it is not connected so cannot refill, and then drill a small hole - in this case in the lead tails. Have buckets, and an asssistant, ready to catch the water. You can drill at an angle to ensure the water jets in the right direction.

BTW - I cannot recall seeeing a BB plumbed in Lead, round our way it is copper or iron, and the connections on the side. I assume the boiler itself is cast iron?

If the pic was added later, why is the link to the pic at the bottom of quoted reply? o_O:D
it was national hug a plumber day yesterday, guess what I got a belated hug from Trevor a long term customer today, and we had a pint in the Scotch Piper at Lydiate ...have a nice weekend centrakheatking
anyway whatever the op seems happy and might get some lolly
for that lead boy..

It might well be dead and dis connected BUT may still contain water...be carefull they
can get a bit frisky if you where to put a stove or open fire in without removing..cash it in at the local scrap man ...I would
centralheatking

Yes I've seen a few that have exploded sending the contents of the fire into the room. Some people drill holes in them but I think removal is the best option

Reply to What is this lead plumbed in? box (fireplace) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock