Search the forum,

Discuss What is this black box below boiler? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Can anybody tell me what this solid metal box is below the condensing boiler in my daughter’s house. The boiler is a Remeha Quinta Pro 45 that has been condemned even though it is only eight years old. They have a Corgi contract and they have agreed to pay towards a new boiler as it is less than 10 years old. The boiler was in the house when they bought it, I have never heard of Remeha and wonder why somebody would fit such an unpopular model?

Attachments

• 1714D63E-3536-4F31-A7AC-9B86C994D79C.jpeg
    1714D63E-3536-4F31-A7AC-9B86C994D79C.jpeg
    305.2 KB · Views: 20
  • C9667E8C-0D10-4A37-853B-9AAD2757AA1D.jpeg
    C9667E8C-0D10-4A37-853B-9AAD2757AA1D.jpeg
    325.2 KB · Views: 19
Its a low loss header

It’s a commercial boiler I’m surprised they even touched the boiler as it needs a commercial qualification to work on it and they won’t pay for a new boiler

What’s wrong with it bet it’s the plastic flue tube

See multiple ones in commercial installes 4-5 mw etc

Its a low loss header

It’s a commercial boiler I’m surprised they even touched the boiler as it needs a commercial qualification to work on it and they won’t pay for a new boiler

Its a low loss header

They know nothing about plumbing but they have been in the house about 5 years and have had a contract with Corgi all this time and have had it serviced under the contract.The boiler packed up and somebody came out who said it had multiple faults and was leaking carbon monoxide and in his opinion didn’t think it was worth fixing even though it is only eight years old.Corgi initially said they would get the manufacturer to look at it but they said if it had the faults stated then it wasn’t worth them looking. Corgi have said that even though the boiler is 45KW they would pay £2500 towards a new boiler as it was less than seven years old when they took out the contract and it is less than ten years old now. Personally I’m amazed that they have agreed to this but I suspect the engineer has not told them just how complicated the system is. In addition to the boiler failing they have a large hot water cylinder and the back up immersion heater has failed. They have agreed to fix this as they have the central heating system covered as well as the boiler. In my opinion they will be very lucky if Corgi do what they have said they will.
What does a low loss header do?
Thanks

Did they send out another guy for a second opinion ? Manufacturer doesn’t do fixed price repairs there brilliant boilers and the manufacturer sells all the part though not cheap but it’s worth it

Did he leave any paperwork to say why it’s been turned off etc ?

It allows the system to flow at a different rate to the boiler and gives the boiler separation from the system so it can do its own thing if you utube low loss header there’s loads of good videos etc

Did they send out another guy for a second opinion ? Manufacturer doesn’t do fixed price repairs there brilliant boilers and the manufacturer sells all the part though not cheap but it’s worth it

Did he leave any paperwork to say why it’s been turned off etc ?

It allows the system to flow at a different rate to the boiler and gives the boiler separation from the system so it can do its own thing if you utube low loss header there’s loads of good videos etc
Strangely no, that was why they were going to get the manufacturer out but when they said it wouldn’t be worth it they seem to have accepted it. Paperwork was left but from memory it was all a bit vague like multiple leaks etc. I would be really worried if it was mine but sometimes ignorance is bliss and Corgi seem to be agreeing to way more than they had to.
They said the new boiler team would come out to price up the job and I have a feeling that when they see it it might all get a bit hairy. I will keep you posted.
I will have a look at YouTube videos re the low loss header.
Thanks for your replies.

It is big, three storeys six bedrooms four bathrooms, the ground floor has underfloor heating. As I had not heard of the boiler I assumed it was a cheap one. The previous owner had a shop fitting company so he no doubt had all the contacts
Probably.
Very good boiler, I like them!

You can get parts for it. They are normally pretty good to work on in my opinion.
I still work on them a lot older than that but it does depend on how they have been maintained over the years.

Have she tried asking a Commercial Heating Engineer to look at it? They may have a different perspective.

Probably.
Very good boiler, I like them!

You can get parts for it. They are normally pretty good to work on in my opinion.
I still work on them a lot older than that but it does depend on how they have been maintained over the years.

Have she tried asking a Commercial Heating Engineer to look at it? They may have a different perspective.
I agree but as it stands it looks like Corgi are going to pay £2500 towards a new boiler but Corgi have to arrange it. If they got a commercial heating engineer in it would all be outside the contract with Corgi.
I’m glad it’s not my house!
An engineer has been to look why the standby immersion heater isn’t working and guess what, even though the switches and cabling is there there isn’t an immersion heater in the cylinder!

Reply to What is this black box below boiler? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock