Search the forum,

Discuss What is the thread out of the top of a hot water cylinder? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I want to fit a sussex flange to a standard hot water cylinder about 10 years old, normally there is a 1inch bsp tapping, this one has a male thread out of the top with a compression 28mm to 22 mm end feed reducer, held in place by a 28mm nut and olive, it does not have a male iron to copper fitting, the threaded bit looks to be screwed directly into the cylinder but if so how can it have a 28mm compression nut to the top if the part that enters the cylinder is 1 inch bsp?

Do you have a photo? I think some cylinders do have a nut and olive on the outlets.

Like Telford for example
TYPHOONCR.png

Out of interest, does the cylinder have a unused secondary return connection on the side?

If you want a air free source for a pump, you can use the secondary.

Out of interest, does the cylinder have a unused secondary return connection on the side?

If you want a air free source for a pump, you can use the secondary.
Although it wont be 100% air free and unfortunately we have to be as pedantic as the pump manufacturers are in their IOMs if we want them to stand by their products :(

Do you have a photo? I think some cylinders do have a nut and olive on the outlets.
Sorry for the delay, I've been trying to contact the manufacturers.

Attachments

• 2021-10-10 (1).png
    2021-10-10 (1).png
    3.1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20211010_101322414_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211010_101322414_HDR.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20211010_101341667.jpg
    IMG_20211010_101341667.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20211010_101354176.jpg
    IMG_20211010_101354176.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 13
Well, at this point I'd be inclined to buy a 28mm Flowflex brand compression coupling and check its thread against the specifications for 1" BSP. That said, you can already get a vernier onto what you have there to check and, by eye, I have a hunch that that isn't BSP thread (looks too fine).

Well, at this point I'd be inclined to buy a 28mm Flowflex brand compression coupling and check its thread against the specifications for 1" BSP. That said, you can already get a vernier onto what you have there to check and, by eye, I have a hunch that that isn't BSP thread (looks too fine).
Hi Ric, thanks for replying, I used a vernier gauge already and the pipe out of the cylinder, the od is about 2.5mm larger than the 1inch BSP thread on the Sussex flange od, so definitely not BSP, I think the owner will need a new cylinder as well, I'm not going to try for an Essex flange unless I really have to.

Reply to What is the thread out of the top of a hot water cylinder? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock