Search the forum,

Discuss What is the requirement for the control of the gas supply in a commercial plant room ? in the Commercial and Industrial Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I'm a sparky. We are installing a couple of standard S plan control systems for a couple of new domestic sized system boilers in a residential care home. We also look after the fire alarm here.
The client has just had a new tanked gas supply installed on site to supply these boilers which are replacing an old floor standing oil fired boiler.
What are the requirements for controlling this new gas supply both within the plant rooms where the boilers will be housed and in the property as a whole.
Is a main solenoid required on the incoming service that is interfaced to the fire alarm and if so should it be manually resettable and from where?
I'm aware of the Duomo style gas safe systems for plant rooms, is this sort of system required in this setting or is that a bit over the top?

Sorry about all the Qs!

Surly your commercial gas engineers know ?

Worryingly no they don't. I was hoping someone on
[automerge]1597560099[/automerge]
Worryingly no they don't. I was hoping someone on here might have an idea, that's why I asked?

As Shaun, the designer / installers of the new supply and boilers should be aware of what's required by regulation and should have discussed with the customer re thier own spec and that of their Insurance company.

They should then have passed on their electrical requirements to you as the installer and your quote / agreement with them would reflect that.
If they've only asked for S plans, then you should take that as all they require re the installation.
They shouldn't assume that you will know what they are fitting and if they then fit something you haven't quoted for, that would be at extra cost to them.

Any queries you have should be directed to the Gas Installers.

(edit) And hopefully, for the customer, the "Domestic sized boilers" are not actually Domestic rated boilers, that'll be no Warranty if they are.

Last edited:
The guys doing the gas installation should install the valves as required.

You said you were doing the wiring, so work with them and connect the isolation valves where they are installed. There are requirements as to where the valves have to be installed - but this wont be your issue.
If things hit the fan, you can say that you only wired up the valves where they were installed.

As for wiring the shut-offs to the fire alarm system, I'm sure there are specific requirements and they should be obtainable from the someone at the premises or from an Authority that covers Commercial Gas installations.

Reply to What is the requirement for the control of the gas supply in a commercial plant room ? in the Commercial and Industrial Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock