Search the forum,

Discuss What is the difference? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone,

What is the difference between an isolation valve and service valve if any? Also do you need one of these or both fitted on copper pipes of kitchen sink or bathroom basin, any advice would be great thanks.

Hi everyone,

What is the difference between an isolation valve and service valve if any? Also do you need one of these or both fitted on copper pipes of kitchen sink or bathroom basin, any advice would be great thanks.
AFAIK, they are simply different names for the same thing used in different circumstances. Service valves isolate single things, like a tap or loo. Isolation valves isolate 'areas' such as 'top floor', 'bathroom', etc.

There is another device called a 'check valve' which is a type of isolation valve, that also provides a method for confirming that valve is not passing when off.

I am not sure which valves are on pipes in the kitchen and bathroom, all I know is when I need to stop the water entering the basin or kitchen sink I just turn the small circle bit in the middle with a screwdriver.

I live on the top floor of a block shared with another 6 flats in total. We have a water tank in the attic which feeds the hot water and the cold water is mains fed.

Would it be a good idea to have both service and isolation valves fitted when living in a flat thanks?

Pics of under basin and under kitchen sink, I think on the hot water pipe their is a single check valve?

Attachments

• Under sink pipe.jpg
    Under sink pipe.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Kitchen pipes.jpg
    Kitchen pipes.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Basin pipe.jpg
    Basin pipe.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Basin pipes.jpg
    Basin pipes.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 7
Service valves go straight onto ball valves eg pipe to 1/2”

isolation valves are pipe to pipe connections

Stop taps which have a t handle and brass are normally used for mains cold water into the house / flat

Reply to What is the difference? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone I hope you can help. We were getting some work done and our builder attached the boiler condensate pipe to the sink waste pipe. This was all then covered with dot and dab. Shown in the picture, red arrow. So the only thing visible now is a round pipe from the wall. We are yet to fit...
Replies
Views
I had new taps fitted within the last year on my bathroom sink. When turning on both the hot or cold tap, there is a vibration/squeaking noise, if the turn the tap fully on the noise stops. I have replaced the flexible hoses to both taps and fitted in-line isolation valves. The noise is now...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am probably being unduly paranoid here but I noticed under our kitchen sink that there is some corrosion evident on a small section of copper pipe between compression fittings on the hot water feed. There are take offs for an outside hot and cold tap together with isolation valves and...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Could someone please explain if this set up is normal and what changed: Stopcock under kitchen sink turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Stopcock in kitchen wall panel turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Red gate valve in airing cupboard next to bathroom turns off...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Does anyone know what this is (in a kitchen cupboard, under the kitchen sink)? I'm wondering if it is an accumulator. Mains water pressure is very low in the property. There's a bleed nipple on top, but it seems very small for an accumulator. Thanks for your advice everyone. Jennie
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock