Search the forum,

Discuss What is the best pipe slice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I couldn't see another version od this topic.
In order not to buy every pipe slice make out there. ...
Does anyone have a preference?
I find even good old rothenburgers fail just a frequent as the cheaper makes. I jave tried wd40 and ot just makes it so it takes 1000 turns before it cuts.

Any advice?

Thanx

In order not to buy every pipe slice make out there. .
I find even good old rothenburgers fail just a frequent as the cheaper makes. I jave tried wd40 and ot just makes it so it takes 1000 turns before it cuts.

Any advice?

Thanx[/QUOTE

Kopex was always a favourite, I have had them, but don’t seem to last as long. Rothenbergers ar usually good as are monument. Only tried one cheap one (city plumbing) and didn’t last long.

Kopex was always a favourite, I have had them, but don’t seem to last as long. Rothenbergers are usually good as are monument. Only tried one cheap one (city plumbing) and didn’t last long.

I've always used kopex but got my eye on the nerrard ratchet pipe cutter that does all the sizes and has a handle on the end. As even as someone who hasn't reached thirty years old yet I can suffer with hand pain after a days worth of pipework nowadays

Any advice?

Thanx

FWIW, my experience is to buy spares wheels for whatever make you buy. I used to use Kopex & Monument.
I also found that as soon as it starts to wander, strip it right down, clean it properly and apply just a film (DO NOT BLATHER) of silicone grease to where the cutter slides and also to the ends of the rollers.
In my experience that takes it back to new.
#YorkshireSkinflint ;)

Any advice?

Thanx[/QUOT

Nerrad pipe slice for me all day long. A little pricey but top notch cutters.

Not a fan of Kopex myself, had a rothenberger for a couple years with new wheel every now and then. Currently using Arctic Haynes pipeslices which are a nice blue colour which helps find them when misplaced, they’ve so far last a long time and also happen to be the cheapest in my local merchants! ;)

This is so weird, sad and pathetic but here goes, last night I dreamt I had bought a new 15mm pipe slice to replace the old that had to be turned about 40 turns to cut (tried bending the spring) and today I went looking for it in my toolbox but it wasn't there it was all a dream but so vivid. :(

Any advice?

Thanx

The one that cuts the pipe when i need it to.

I've always used kopex but got my eye on the nerrard ratchet pipe cutter that does all the sizes and has a handle on the end. As even as someone who hasn't reached thirty years old yet I can suffer with hand pain after a days worth of pipework nowadays

Have you not seen/tried the ratchet ones?

Monument and service them, only one not working currently - condensation in the van got to it. I have a ratchet one, not auto though so take a little longer but really saves the wrists and fingers if close to the wall or at a angle.

I've used Kopex and Monument, 18 months ago bought Nerrad quite pleased with them for 2 reasons. 1. Narrower than above brands 2. Chunkier grip, especially useful in tight spaces.

I just use rothenberger as that's what they sell in my merchants. Give a quick squirt of wd40 on a Friday afternoon then they last a bit longer. But they are pants.

Monument - thin pipe slice to get close to the wall
Rothenberger - Big easy grip

Wouldnt mind an electric pipe slice though..

Dismantle fully, fine wire wool any rust/carp - especially on roller pins, clean off, lubricate lightly , reassemble.
It will work like new - new wheel if not cutting clean.
Come on lads, it’s only one screw.

what do you use? Just wd-40 or oil?

I find WD-40 is really only for cleaning or displacing water and as a penetrating oil.
More solvent than oil really.
Fine for spraying into the pipe slice to keep it functioning longer.
I personally would recommend 3 in 1 oil to use slight amount on the shafts if you strip the pipe slice down.

The Kopex or Monument (or Rothenberger which is just a rebadged Kopex). They are all pretty much the same. Buy a box of 10 cutting wheels as a blunt wheel is what generally lets you down. Keep them well oiled at all times or they can sometimes spiral

Rothenberger recently have been terrible. I've took two 22mm slicers back due to the spring not lasting a day. I bought 28mm monument last week and there okay. Has anyone tried the blue silverline set on amazon. It comes as set, 15,22 and 28 for £18. I was going to buy as a back up. Anyone got any recommendations for 10 or 8?

Big fan of the Ridgid C15/C22 pipe slice. It cuts both 15mm and 22mm with the same pipe slice, so no need to carry two sizes. It's not cheap, but cuts really well and I wouldn't use anything else now. If you buy one, keep it well lubed with WD40 or it will seize.

As for lubricant, silicone grease is what I find best as they not only keep the cutters lubed, but the silicone helps keep the water out of the components. I use a wee tub of fine grade silicone grease that I got from the USA via Amazon. Use it sparingly, as too much will do more damage than good and all the crap that comes off pipes will stick to the grease.

I heard the Milwaukee electric one was on sale... might not be good for tight spaces but good if you do a lot of cutting
I have one and it's too big and bulky for most retro fit installs. It's good for new installs where there's more space to use it. I've used mine about a dozen times in 2 years. The wee M12 batteries hold their charge for ages.

As for lubricant, silicone grease is what I find best as they not only keep the cutters lubed, but the silicone helps keep the water out of the components. I use a wee tub of fine grade silicone grease that I got from the USA via Amazon. Use it sparingly, as too much will do more damage than good and all the crap that comes off pipes will stick to the grease.
I have sprayed mine with AC90 for years. Seems to do the job.

Reply to What is the best pipe slice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock