Search the forum,

Discuss What is an Olive Roller tool? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Showing my ignorance here, but what is (apart from the obvious) an olive rolling tool? I have just been speaking to a mate that swears he used to have on. Its a device that uses a ball bearing??? to roll a lip into a pipe to be used as an olive. Do you guys use one? Can you still get them? Pros and Cons?

Edit: should have called it a pipe beading tool

Last edited:
I first saw one used around 50 years ago.
Never owned or used one personally.
Issues I can see are you have to get the position of the roll correct, no adjustment afterwards.
And it may be difficult to get the roll tool into some tight locations.
And if the joint is split at a later date you can't just fit a new olive and tighten up.

The one I saw , 50 years ago, had a Tee handle, so was more bulky than the one above which is Imperial sized.
I know they've been mentioned on here before and someone posted a link to a Metric one.

Edit: should have called it a pipe beading tool
They're used when you need a joint between a copper or aluminium pipe and a flexible hose. Fairly common inside machines and engines. In domestic plumbing you'd normally just use an off-the-shelf 'hose connector'.

Called a 'Crox Tool'.

We used to use them quite often during Fit-Off's of hot and cold water.
Mainly before Flexi connectors were available.

I bring mine out from time to time to show off to a 'Newby' who thinks they know it all.

Far better than an olive because the pipe is altered and the nut grips the pipe. No chance of slipping out as with an under tightened olive.

It will still leak of not tightened properly, but generally won't flood as per a slipped olive.

He's a Kiwi - not an Aussie.

Can't you heat the difference?

You can use PTFE - if you do, wind in on in reverse as you would do on a thread.
Doing the nut up will undo the tape.

I'm not so fussy as this KIWI !!!!, I roll it over the groove also.

Reply to What is an Olive Roller tool? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Winner
Hi all, I joined today and am a newbie at plumbing DIY. Thought I'd share my experience replacing the stopcock under my sink. The old one looked very corroded around the tap handle. An Anglian Water engineer was at the property measuring my water pressure and flow rate. When he saw the...
Replies
Views
Looking to see what iron pipe part can fit a 10mm ball joint? In this pic there is a part that connects the ball joint (or whatever they are called) to the 1/2 inch pipe. I am looking to connect to a 3/4 inch pipe. Are there any threads that do this? Thanks I have been told that in North...
Replies
Views
Hi all, had some great advice on this forum and need a bit more... I've used this reducer (pictured) to step down a 22mm lead loc coupler to 15mm. I inserted 15mm plastic pipe (with a pipe insert) with ptfe wrapped round the olive which is brass. Just read online that that's no good as brass...
Replies
Views
Have noticed my success rate with compression fittings fall over the last year or so. Am getting a few that weep. When I back to nut off to have a look the olive isn't over tighthed and I always clean the pipe first. Wondering if anyone else has noticed this whether it's just me or the quality...
Replies
Views
Hi, First post here, I have usually been able to answer my questions through searching this forum but now I'm stuck! I have replaced the tiles in my shower with shower board and now reinstalling the Triton Dart 2 shower mixer. I had to cut the old olives to get the nuts off before fitting the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock