Search the forum,

Discuss What happens if you set a flow temperature lower than HW cylinder in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there, I was wondering if you set a boiler flow temperature at lets say 50 degrees and your unvented indirect cylinder is at 55 degrees - is it the case your cylinder will never reach up to temperature, or will it reach the temperature but just take longer? I have an older boiler where I can set only one flow temperature with a LLH - and although the UFH and rads would be OK with a lower temp - I'm wondering how it affects the HW cylinder. I am aware that it is worth running the HW at 60 once in a while to kill off bacteria.

Correct cylinder will never satisfy also higher chances of legionnaires the lower you go

We're naturally getting alot of this type of enquiry about lowering boiler flow temp but still managing to keep the HW storage in a safe manner but usually with less than capable boiler.

I'm not sure it could apply to the OP with his huge HW storage requirements but as you only need a legionella cycle once a week as an easy work around why not do it electrically? As long as you have an immersion in the lower half of the cylinder to heat all the cylinder water set it via a timer to come on overnight for an hour or three to raise the store temp to 60/65 deg. The rest of the time the HW cylinder temp can be set to the boiler flow temp which will be ample especially for unvented with decent flow rate and pressure.

We're naturally getting alot of this type of enquiry about lowering boiler flow temp but still managing to keep the HW storage in a safe manner but usually with less than capable boiler.

I'm not sure it could apply to the OP with his huge HW storage requirements but as you only need a legionella cycle once a week as an easy work around why not do it electrically? As long as you have an immersion in the lower half of the cylinder to heat all the cylinder water set it via a timer to come on overnight for an hour or three to raise the store temp to 60/65 deg. The rest of the time the HW cylinder temp can be set to the boiler flow temp which will be ample especially for unvented with decent flow rate and pressure.
Sorry I missed this message. I have in fact installed an Eddi (solar / timer boost) which I am planning to use for setting up the 60 degree boost on the weekend using off peak energy. Thanks

Reply to What happens if you set a flow temperature lower than HW cylinder in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock